2

Fox host says Colin Kaepernick should stop protesting because he has two white parents.

On Monday, Fox host Brian Kilmeade took the criticism against Colin Kaepernick to a new, bigoted level, suggesting the quarterback should be grateful for his life in the United States because he was fortunate enough to be raised by two white parents.

Kaepernick’s parentage does not erase his experience as a biracial American — and Kaepernick himself has addressed the issue of his adopted family and racial identity before. Maybe Kilmeade should hear the story about Kaepernick being profiled while on vacation with his family.

follow @the-movemnt

usatoday.com
The Right to Protest Also Means Freedom from Militarized Police
Despite political and police rhetoric, maintaining ban is best way to ensure that protesters are protected

It’s impossible for any groups to win fights against Arctic drilling, the Keystone XL Pipeline and new fossil fuel leasing and fights for action to combat global climate change without the opportunity to protest.  But convincing members and activists to protest under threat or intimidation becomes more difficult when police are ill-trained and militarized. Federally arming police with weapons of war silences protesters across all justice movements.

Peaceful protest and civil disobedience have played a critical role in changing minds and policies in this country — from shutting down bridges and freeways in the fight for civil rights to shutting down coal plants in the fight for our planet’s future, from suffragettes marching in the streets for the right to vote to activists raising the alarm about AIDS awareness. These tactics of disruption have frequently been the only avenue available to stop legal, yet devastating, practices…

theglobeandmail.com
National Energy Board suspends hearings into Energy East pipeline
TransCanada is looking for approval for the west-to-east pipeline that would deliver 1.1-million barrels per day of crude - mostly diluted bitumen from the oil sands - to refiners and an export terminal in eastern Canada.

The National Energy Board has suspended its hearings into TransCanada Corp.’s Energy East pipeline until it can decide whether two panel members need to step down over allegations of bias, a move which further delays a federal decision on the proposed $15.7-billion project.

In a statement Tuesday, the federal regulatory agency said it would suspend hearings which were due this week in Montreal to deal with complaints against two board members - Jacques Gauthier and Lyne Mercier - who met privately last year with former Quebec premier Jean Charest, who was being paid as a consultant to TransCanada.

The NEB cancelled a planned hearing in Montreal on Monday after protesters stormed the hearing room and one burly man charged the tabled where panel members were seated, before he was restrained by security guards. The anti-pipeline activists insist the hearing process is rigged to reach a positive conclusion, and that the meeting with Mr. Charest was inappropriate.

“This decision [to suspend the hearings] has been made as a result of a violent disruption on the first day of the proceedings and ongoing security concerns, the board said in a release.

“Disruptions like this one compromise the board’s ability to conduct the session in a secure manner and also prevent intervenors from having an opportunity to be heard, sharing their views and asking questions. All participants in this hearing have a right to be heard and with respect.”

TransCanada is looking for approval for the west-to-east pipeline that would deliver 1.1-million barrels per day of crude - mostly diluted bitumen from the oil sands - to refiners and an export terminal in eastern Canada. The industry and Alberta government argue the pipeline is needed to secure access to new markets and world prices for western crude.

Some municipal politicians, First Nations leaders and environmentalists oppose the project, arguing it would threaten local waterways and contribute to growing greenhouse gas emissions from the oil sands.

Groups in Quebec and Ontario have petitioned the National Energy Board to have Mr. Gauthier and Ms. Mercier recuse themselves from the Energy East panel as a result of their meeting with Mr. Charest. An NEB spokesman said Mr. Charest did not reveal to the board members that he was being paid by TransCanada, while the company said the former premier was not asked to lobby on Energy East.

However, critics insist private stakeholders meetings with panel members should not have been held at all, given the quasi-judicial nature of the process.

After the groups filed their submissions demanding the recusals earlier this month, the board invited all parties to make written submissions by Sept. 7, after which it will decide the members’ fate. It will not resume hearings until that matter is resolved, it said Tuesday.

Last January, the new Liberal government tacked on an additional nine months to the Energy East review deadline in order to provide more time for the board to consult with communities and First Nations groups along the 4,500-kilometre route from Alberta to Saint John, N.B.

The Liberals had criticized the National Energy Board in opposition and during the election as lacking in credibility. But after winning government, they declared that the current board would review the Energy East pipeline under its existing mandate - with some added consultations - while the government worked on “modernizing” the regulatory agency for the future.

youtube

ACTION RECAP: Activists stage coal-train blockade in Bellingham - #environment #climateaction #protest 👊

10

No Justice, No Peace (7.8.16): Some powerful shit just went down in Atlanta. Thousands came out to protest the lives stolen by police and vigilante violence, both locally and across the country. They shut down parts of both I-85 and I-75, A BIG FUCKING DEAL if you know the city (these are all 6+ lane interstates). So proud of all of my Atlanta fam tonight! Y’all have been working towards this for months, and I know you’re just getting started. #farfromover

9

Pretoria Girls High School students are fighting back against a racist dress code.

When Pretoria Girls High School in Pretoria, South Africa, put restrictions on how women could wear their hair, they probably didn’t expect this response. But the students are not taking these covert racial tactics lightly. 

Boys and girls alike, including 13-year-old Zulaikha, are taking a stand with protests, demonstrations and a petition with more than 18,000 signatures. But it’s not just the dress code they’re fighting, students also claim the school restricts their language.

follow @the-movemnt

4

Black women got in formation in Public Square to underline issues that really matter. 

10

Brooklyn, NYC: Justice for Sandra Bland and other Black Women Killed by Police, July 13, 2016.

More than 700 people gathered in Flatbush, Brooklyn, and marched to honor the lives of Sandra Bland and other Black women killed by the police on the anniversary of Sandra Bland’s death. Family members of Kyam Livingston and Shantel Davis called for justice, and the people took over Flatbush Avenue and marched in their name.

Photos: Peoples Power Assemblies