Proasheck

IDAHOT

Hey you! Today is the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, #IDAHOT, so I just wanted to type up a little somethin’ somethin’.

Firstly, no matter who you are or what your sexual orientation is, whether you’re gay, bi, straight, pan, asexual or the myriad other labels, and no matter what your gender identity or expression is, whether you’re trans, cis, or anything in between or nothing at all, I want to stress to you how important and amazing it is that you are you. Humanity is evolving to a point where people can just be who they want to be, and that’s awesome.

Keep reading

yogsfan102 asks: Hey Zoey, I have a friend who doesn’t support homo or bisexual rights, and I need help convincing him he is wrong. Do you have any suggestions?
___

Ask your friend why they care what some people, the majority of which they will never meet or interact with, do with their lives.

Ask your friend why it matters what random strangers do in the privacy of their own lives, if it’s not hurting anyone.

Then, if you friend shows no empathy for the strangers, ask them how they would feel, if in 20 years, they had a son, who came out as gay, and was in love with another man, but wasn’t allowed to marry him. Wasn’t allowed to share the same bond that his father and mother did which lead to creating his own life. That son grows up, knowing that his parents got married, watches his straight siblings get married, watches his straight friends get married, and he can’t have any of that? Why the heck not? Ask your friend to imagine never being able to watch their own son get married. Because he’s not allowed to.

Then ask your friend to imagine instead, that they had a daughter, and she went to school, and developed a crush on another girl there. And the other kids found out. And your daughter comes home. Every night. Beaten. Bruised. Made fun of. Shouted at. Clothes ripped. Imagine taking your daughter out shopping on a weekend to buy new clothes, and a kid from her classroom sees her, starts hurling abuse at her, maybe throws a bottle and it crashes at her feet, barely missing you both. Will they just stand there and force their daughter to suffer? Will they still say, “Well, I don’t believe LGBT people should have the same rights as straight people, so I’m completely fine with my daughter not being treated equally”? I hope so very much that they realize how silly that would be.

You know what everyone who is straight, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, transsexual, asexual, whatever, has in common? They are all human beings. A man kissing another man, that shouldn’t hurt anyone. Certainly, no straight person is harmed when that happens. But a gay or bi person might be. In some countries, that man would be imprisoned. I dare say in a few, he may even receive the death penalty. Why is that okay? In what world, does showing affection to a consensual adult, in what world, does it make sense for that to be punished?

Why are 10% of the population denied access to the things the other 90% have? Yet still, those 10% continue to work, continue to drive their country forward, from humble mail delivery, to even doctors and lawyers. Good people, trying to live the same life that everyone else wants. And they can’t have it. Why the hell can’t they have it.

—  I don’t often get political, I try to keep light-hearted, but here’s a rebloggable version. Human beings are important. It’s why I do what I do. Just trying to make the world a nicer place to live in. For everyone.