Last night I was thinking about the worst books I’ve ever read, and while this series doesn’t belong on that list, it was certainly the most… different? And I’m struggling so hard to remember what it was called.
All I remember is the following:
- The protagonist and his sister were part of a special group of people who could visit this spirit world of sorts with animals, by eating magic dirt
- Except the sister was taken by a bunch of evil rich people who prolonged their lives by harvesting the organs of children, and forced to work for them
- The only character I remember by name was Lumpy, and that’s because his name was due to deadly bugs embedding themselves in his skin and so everyone called him Lumpy
- At one point they ran into these people who lived in a cave I think, and they were vampires, I think? And they ritualistically cut off their ears
- And an ice cream truck held some sort of special significance
Anyway if anyone by chance knows could you please tell me? I need to know I did not just dream this up.