- The Council of American Islamic Relations’ Minnesota Chapter is calling on law enforcement authorities to investigate an Apple Valley High School security guard and police officer for allegedly using excessive force on a female Muslim student after she faced Islamophobic harassment.
- The Muslim civil rights group said a male classmate taunted the student, who wears the hijab, and called her “a fucking terrorist."
- According to CAIR-MN, the student’s hijab was removed from her hair when the police officer exerted excessive force. She was later taken out of school and sent to her parents.
- After the incident, school administrators met with the Muslim student and her family on Friday before suspending her for the rest of the school year, Twin Cities Pioneer Press reported.
- CAIR-MN said following the altercation between the police officer and the student, the advocacy group received about a dozen complaints from Apple Valley High Muslim students who felt unsafe and concerned about the police officer. Read more (6/6/17)