BALAGA IS FUN
BOLKONSKY IS CRAZY
MARY IS PLAIN
DOLOKHOV IS FIERCE
HÉLÈNE IS A SLUT
ANATOLE IS HOT
MARYA IS OLDSCHOOL
SONYA IS GOOD
NATASHA IS YOUNG
AND ANDREY ISNT HERE
…. WHAT ABOUT PIERRE?
(Finally first post to this, asks are open)
Goodbye, my gypsy lovers, all my revels here are over!
…which is my overdramatic way of saying that I’m moving away from New York (and the glorious lights of Broadway) to DC this weekend, so tonight was my last hurrah at The Great Comet.
- we got stage seats!!! More specifically, the table where Natasha and Mary sit and talk shit about each other, which is pretty much the best seat in the house. A lot of nuanced action happens in front of that table.
- THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I SAW LUCAS STEELE LIVE AHHHHHH my jaw dropped during That Part™ in Letters
- let’s not even talk about Petersburg because I think my heart stopped beating for a good minute
- this was also my first time seeing Grace McLean and she was AMAZING ahhhhhh
- Ingrid Michaelson was awesome!!!! I was so impressed by her acting tbh
- my constant faves Nick and Amber at it again
- Paul Pinto stopped at our table during The Abduction and said, “I can’t keep going,” while panting
- good lord, Anatole’s pants are TIGHT
- DAVE. GUYS. DAVE. I shook his hand at stage door and told him I was so honored to meet him. His voice is so good live
- Amber Gray cries real tears after Pierre banishes Anatole. She sat at our table and the tears were just streaming down her face. I was shook
- Denee is a revelation as Natasha. There’s no other way to describe it, and her emotions are so much more potent when you’re sitting onstage.
- Lucas Steele held WHOOOOOA at the end of Balaga for five whole minutes probably
- his technique, I can’t even, it’s amazing
- Lucas winked at me when he sang “wish me luck, my gypsy lovers” because he saw me mouthing the words!!! I died on the spot
- at the stage door, I told Lucas that this was going to be the last time I would be seeing him and the show for a while, so when I took a picture with him he touched my hand and whispered, “Are you happy with this picture? I want you to be happy with this picture.”
- (btw his hands are ridiculously soft, I should’ve asked what moisturizer he uses)
- guys this was a good night. I love this beautiful beautiful beautiful genius show. It’s my favorite thing in the world.
- side note: this adorable group of Russian babushkas were on line to enter the theater and I spoke with them in Russian so that was a bonus treat!!!
- in hindsight, I probably should have asked Lucas if he’d kiss me one last time, just like Matryosha hahahaaaa
-i was sitting in the front row of the back mezz and i could see everything and it was incredible.
-brad came up to us beforehand and shouted “NYET, NYET, NYET!” at things such as leaving your cellphones on during the performance and talking during the show, etc
-then prologue started. and everyone in the audience was so engaged from that point on it was great. we had such a good audience omg
-cathryn played her clarinet in my face and it was magical
- celia mei rubin’s arms are my RELIGION, holy shit??? she’s tiny but so fucking strong i love it?? she’s incredible
-okay fast forward to natasha and the bolkonskys…after mary said “and he looked at her once head to toe” nicholas belton managed to mutter “not in my house” at shoba (who was playing natasha) right before mary continued with the lyric and i dIED
-fast forward to the duel: balaga ate sonya out next to the bolkonsky chair, anatole seduces marya, marya whips some poor ensemble member on the top of the stage, and let’s not forget the special appearance by all eighteen of josh canfield’s abs
- everything was fantastic up until in my house
- brittain is in the middle of her line and her mic cuts out
- cue my heart dropping
- then ALL THE SOUND CUTS OUT
- and suddenly there’s an announcement over a hidden loudspeaker: “EXCUSE US. WE’RE HAVING SOME TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. ALL ACTORS PLEASE EXIT THE STAGE.”
- shoba and grace and brittain are just kind of standing there laughing nervously and eventually grace beckons to shoba and they exit
- the audience starts murmuring and everything is quiet
- until a man behind me starts singing: “whOOAAOAOAAAOHOAAA”
- getting the message, i stand up and shout “HEY! HEY! HEY!”
- and the WHOLE AUDIENCE STARTS SINGING THE ABDUCTION
- IT WAS INCREDIBLE
-EVERYONE STARTED CLAPPING AND SHAKING THEIR EGG SHAKERS AND SINGING
- eventually the song died out and everyone started clapping again it was hilarious
- scott stangland (pierre), had to stay in the circular pit the whole time, and i’m not sure if he was staying in character or drinking from the wine bottle to cope with the fact that things had gone horribly wrong
- then the guitar player next to him started the wave
- and since its a circular theatre, the wave extended through the entire imperial
- after that ended, heath came out to his spot to loud applause
- he grinned and waved as the rest of the cast came out
- they weren’t getting the okay to continue the show so they just stood there in silence in their spots right before in my house
- after a long pause, lucas, who stood on the top of the stairs, called “YOU GUYS REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED, RIGHT?” everyone says “yes!” and then grace comes onstage and the audience ROARS
- they continued the show and it was terrific
anyway, tl/dr: props to the great comet cast retaining their good humor and taking a major technical difficulty in stride.