A very long overdue post!! My last black pens post was more than a year old! Anyway, all pens were bought here in Brazil (unless stated otherwise) at local stationery shops (I don’t buy online).
1. Gel ink pens:
- Pros: they write very smoothly, the ink is really opaque
- Cons: they might smudge (although it almost never happens to me) because they dry a little bit slower than a ballpoint pen
Pilot G-2 0.38 - This is currently my favorite pen. It has not disappointed me so far: it takes a good while for the ink to end, it’s very smooth to write and it has a comfortable grip. I bought this one at Target (USA).
Pentel Tradio 05 - My second favorite. Again, it is smooth, the ink lasts for a long time and it is really opaque. I don’t use it all that often because I find it a bit too thick, since my handwriting is small. However, it is my go to when writing bigger or on thicker paper.
Cis Gelyx 05 - Wouldn’t recommend this one 100%, but it works fine. What I don’t like about this pen is that the ink ends really quickly. Also, the cap is missing in the picture!
Muji Gel Ink - I was a bit disappointed with it, because the tip got loose and the ink leaked out. Although I was able to fix it by screwing the end tighter, I wouldn’t really recommend it to most people, since there are better alternatives available. I bought this one at the Muji store in London.
2. Nankin ink pens:
- Pros: the ink is really opaque (nankin pens are usually used by artists) and there are a lot of tip sizes available
- Cons: they might not be as comfortable to write in, the ink doesn’t look so dark on the paper (usually more of a dark grey)
Staedtler Pigment Liner 0.1 - I used to use it in my old bullet journal, and I really liked it. The ink doesn’t end very quickly and it has a constant flow.
There are, however, 3 main brands that I’ve seen selling this kind of pen: Staedtler, Unipin and Sakura. As of quality, my opinion is: Staedtler = Unipin > Sakura. As of price, they usually are: Staedtler > Unipin > Sakura.
3. Hydrographic pens:
- Pros: they are the easiest ones to find and the ink is opaque and has a constant flow
- Cons: the ink doesnt’t look so dark on the paper, they might be too thick for some people
Papermate Flair UF - this one works fine for me, although it is a bit too thick, so I only used it when writing in thicker paper. I haven’t used it recently because lately I have been preferring gel ink pens.
Stabilo Point 88 - it’s not in the picture, but I have owned it previously. It bleeds through the paper more and the tip might break, but it works fine enough (again, I didn’t like it so much because it was too thick for me).
Keep reading for the text in Portuguese! / Continue lendo para o texto em Português!