As someone who wants to cheer for the Avs but knows nothing about them, what are 5 things you need to know about the Colorado Avalanche? #GoAvs???
1. We moved to Colorado in 1995 and won the Stanley Cup in our first season here!
2. We also won the Stanley Cup in 2001. This is especially memorable because Ray Bourque finally, finally won the Cup (and it was so, so deserved).
3. Joe Sakic, our current EVP & GM, holds our franchise records for most career games played (1,378), most goals (625), most power play goals (205), most short-handed goals (32), most game-winning goals (86), most assists (1,016), most points (1,641) and most 30-goal seasons (9).
4. We have had four Captains since moving to Colorado: Joe Sakic, Adam Foote, Milan Hejduk and Gabriel Landeskog.
5. Being involved in the COlorado community is very important to use. Every season, we host a Charity Brunch & Fashion Show for kids in the hospital.
Gabriel Landeskog on becoming captain of the Avs - It’s something you dream about as a kid. Just being a part of an organization like the Avs and getting to put the honor of the C on, with the history that this club has with Joe Sakic, Adam Foote and obviously Milan Hejduk, it’s a pretty humbling experience. I’m really excited and looking forward to the challenge. I didn’t expect this at all, especially not this early in my career, but at the same time I feel like I’m ready for it and the organization feels like I’m ready for it. I’m excited.
Avalanche legend Joe Sakic presents a silver stick to Milan Hejduk (23) of the Colorado Avalanche for his 1,000th career game before the first period of action. Colorado Avalanche versus the Dallas Stars at the Pepsi Center on February 4, 2012.
“I decided to quit hockey,” he told Blesk, a Czech daily newspaper. “I just have to announce it officially. In frame of one month there will be a press conference. And that’s it, I’m done. … I wanted to quit after the end of last season. But my agent told me not to be crazy, that maybe some interesting offer would show up. But I realized I did not want to move somewhere else.”
“But I realized I did not want to move somewhere else.”