I’ve seen a lot of posts about Hannah being a ‘drama queen’ or overreacting to small things everyone did so I thought I’d explain a bit about what I understood.
1. Justin - Justin exaggerated what he and Hannah did. While this seems mild, it set Hannah up for a terrible high school career because she earned the reputation of 'slut’. This happens so often in schools and in the adult world and can RUIN someone’s life in a certain, if not all areas.
2. Alex - Alex put Hannah as having the best ass against Jessica as the worst. It is clear that the internet is doing its thing again and not taking time to understand things properly; this was NOT A COMPLIMENT AND HANNAH HAD EVERY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY. It was a clear violation of friendship and an obvious example of men pitting women against each other for their own benefit.
3. Jessica - I’m going more by the book here, but Jessica was on the tapes because she didn’t believe Hannah and abandoned her when she needed her. A clear example of how people can easily be lead by others and girls turning on each other because of guys. Jessica deserved to be on the tapes because she didn’t hear Hannah’s side of the story and instead took her anger out on her first friend at the school.
4. Tyler - I don’t think I need to explain much about this, but he abused his position as a photographer in school to violate boundaries for his own pleasure similar to how a lot of people in a power exploit those below them. He made Hannah feel vulnerable and took the lack of comfort she felt at school to her own bedroom.
5. Courtney - I suppose this is kind of harder to understand. Courtney was a closeted lesbian and therefore it is understandable that she was upset at the thought of her being outed before she was ready, but Hannah confided in her to help her expose someone else and instead she protected herself by further ruining Hannah. This shows the selfishness of those who feel the need to protect themselves by harming others.
6. Marcus - I haven’t seen much on Marcus honestly, but I dislike him immensely. He took advantage of Hannah because of the impression of her he had put together from rumours created by other reasons (Justin, Courtney) which is an expression of how men feel owed something from women, especially those who are seen as 'slutty’.
7. Zach - At first glance, Zach doesn’t seem too bad. At half a second glimpse, this changes. Hannah rejected him because he said something silly, a mistake, and if he had made an obvious effort to explain and apologise, he could have helped Hannah. Instead, he chooses to punish her by preventing her from receiving happiness from others. This is one of the clearest examples of how men can’t handle a woman’s right to say 'no’ and reject him…
8. Ryan - This tape is similar to that of Tyler in that he made her feel unsafe. What Tyler did was worse than Ryan, however the effect of Ryan’s actions had (in my opinion) worse consequences that Tyler’s. Ryan published her poem because he thought it was something that needed to be shared, a selfish and naive action (when considering the maturity of high school students), which meant that Hannah’s personal thoughts were no longer her own. She was not comfortable at school, home or in her own mind.
9. Clay - Though I agree when Hannah states that he shouldn’t have been on the tapes, Clay does represent 'everyone else’ who stands by and watched people like Hannah slowly fade and retreat into themselves because of the actions of others. The 'bystanders’ if you will, whose lack of part in our stories can be just as important as those who intrude on us.
10. Justin - It is evident in the series that Justin was extremely haunted by the rape at Jessica’s party and this is probably why he is gaining so much sympathy… this is also why I recommend you all READ THE BOOK. Justin stood by and watched his friend rape his girlfriend, why is he receiving more sympathy than I’ve seen for Jessica? Of course it was hard for Justin to witness that, but staying friends with Bryce and staying with Jessica without telling her is reason enough for him to be on the tapes again.
11. Jenny - Jenny was kind to Hannah, offering her a lift home, but she didn’t take responsibility for knocking down the stop sign which lead to someone’s DEATH. The guilt that Hannah was left with from this (because she was in the car) was understandably overwhelming, especially as the victim was a classmate who was blamed for drunk driving. Jenny is an example of how our reckless actions and lack of responsibility for them can destroy other lives; is that not the entire plot?
12. Bryce - Lord help you if you need an explaination.
13. Mr Porter - A perfect example of how there is not enough support out there for students (and people in general, honestly). The counsellor advising Hannah to 'move on’ after she confides in him that she was raped is one of the most haunting moments in the entire series, solidifying her reason for suicide- she had no comfort amongst her classmates, in her own home, in her mind and now, the specialist designated for dealing with situations like this bore no real interest in her problems and told her to 'move on’.
It’s extremely important for us when watching shows with topics like this to remember many things.
First, the show is not just this situation. Everything represents something more in society; each tape side is a problem in the world that leads to suicide, not only a small action by one character leading to Hannah Baker’s suicide. If you need help in understanding this, or want something else similar to this story, I recommend watching or reading 'An Inspector Calls’ by J.B. Priestly- a masterful piece tackling classism/sexism and how each person’s seemingly small actions lead to a girl’s suicide.
Second, memes are sometimes funny. The 'Clay every time he sees Tony’ memes are really funny, the 'fuck off, Courtney’ memes are funny, but the 'welcome to your tape over a slight inconvenience’ memes, they’re not. The show is raising awareness for the seriousness of suicide, not to create a fanbase of jokes about it. Promoting these after you watch the show, is a clear statement that you haven’t understood why it was made and is completely unacceptable.
Third, separate the character from the actor. Justin Prentice is NOT Bryce Walker, do not spam his comments with disgusting name calling or threatening- this is CLEARLY wrong and unnecessary. This also works the other way: Brandon Flynn is NOT Justin Foley. Just because Brandon is attractive and nice, doesn’t mean his character becomes as such.
Please don’t turn 13 reasons why into another generic element of pop culture. I love pop culture, don’t get me wrong, but we have a tendency to begin digging for meaning and giving up halfway; overusing the profound starting points of progress we find by loosely throwing them around, emptying them of all meaning.
PROS- Most of the shit he did could be blamed on his abusive behaviour and his conflict between his debt to his friend and doing the right thing, loved his girlfriend, tried to stand up to his mom's shitty boyfriend
CONS- Was a rape apologist, had no balls and never stood up to his jerk best friend when he harassed both the girls he was in a relationship with,was prepared to kill Clay to protect his reputation
PROS- Was man enough to own up to every mistake, stood up for what he believed in, whether it helped him or not, he was so guilty that he soon started showing suicidal tendencies like picking fights he knew he couldn't win or trying to drown himself in a pool, answered everything in a snarky way and sassed justin constantly, comforted clay after jeff's death, allowed justin to stay at his place despite their little rivalry, stayed friends with Jessica despite breaking up with her (albeit it was her fault), DIDN'T EXCUSED BRYCE'S RAPIST ASS
Broke up with jessica when she refused to have sex with him, didn't tell Hannah about their relationship and allowed her to think that they just drifted apart, dragged hannah into their fight and broke Jessica's friendship with her, humiliated hannah and objectified her, didn't correct the jocks when they implied a relationship between them both, hung out with bryce despite knowing what he did to hannah and jessica, tried to threaten clay into silence, never apologized to jessica for his behaviour, was mean to Tyler even before knowing what he did to Hannah
PROS: was good friends with hannah, stayed away from justin once she realized how he had let bryce rape her
Immediately assumed that the reason the two broke up was not because of Alex, but because of Hannah, SLAPPED HER, stood Hannah up at Monet's, got into a relationship with Alex and never told Hannah about it, got into a relationship with the guy who ruined Hannah's relationship and never told her, showed violent tendencies by hitting Justin with those metal pieces used to break the bulb, hung out with Bryce to make Justin angry
PROS:Has reasons for his behaviour, being the social outcast and all, (not redeemable though)
He's a fucking creep, shows school shooter tendencies, and most probably killed Alex, need i say anything more?
PROS: none. All she cared about was her parent's and her own reputation
Was fake af, used Hannah to get a ride to the dance, stopped talking to Hannah the second it hurt her reputation, spread more rumours about her and hid behind the lies, WAS A RAPE APOLOGIST despite holding no affection for bryce, wasn't ready even till the end to accept her faults,fucking hate this bitch
PROS: None, didn't care about anything but his reputation
Tried to threaten Clay into silence, stayed with Bryce despite knowing about what he did, RAPE APOLOGIST, basically sexually assaulted Hannah, was fake af with the teachers
PROS: sat next to Hannah as an effort to comfort her and apologized for his friend, bought the milkshakes for her, was genuinely nice to her, most of his reactions were out of anger, tried to be nice but failed really bad, kept her note
Stole her notes, was one of the jocks that objectified Hannah, tried to threaten Clay into silence, had a sister but never realized how much his actions could hurt girls, hung out with Bryce despite knowing what he did to Hannah, was a rape apologist, was ready to put the whole blame on bryce
PROS: was a great poet, agreed to help Hannah with poetry, tried to make amends for his mistake by buying Hannah a gift, tried to get Hannah to be confident about her work, was really (too) passionate about his 'zine, WASN'T A RAPE APOLOGIST, was blunt and called courtney out on her shit
arrogant, invaded Hannah's privacy
PROS: EVERYTHING CLAY JENSEN WAS AN IDIOT BUT HE WAS THE SWEETEST IDIOT EVER
was really oblivious (couldn't figure his friend was gay, didn't know what to say to Hannah etc.), was emotionally unstable, was reckless, usually too determined to do the right thing, even if he hurt himself in the process, pushed people away and grew cynical because of the tapes
PROS: Genuinely cared about Clay, owned up to her shit in the end
Tried to manipulate Clay into not listening to the tapes, hung out with Bryce despite knowing what he did, left Hannah in the middle of the night alone in some random place despite her being drunk just because she disagreed with her, (indirectly) caused the death of the purest character in the show
PROS: NONE THIS DICKWAD DESERVED TO ROT IN HELL AND CHOKE ON STAPLE PINS
everything he did, the fact that this rapist was even alive
was a fucking dumbass who didn't deserve his job
Thoughts on 13 Reasons Why characters and a rating of how much I dislike them from 1 being “my baby!!!!” to 10 being “FUCK THEM THEY CAN ROT”
Hannah Baker: Didn’t deserve everything she went through especially rape. She pushed some people away though and sometimes she was kind of idk how to word it but I didn’t like stuff about her at times. Either way she deserved so much better than what she got. Deserved to be happy with Clay. 2/10.
Clay Jensen: Will fight anyone for Hannah. He was so shy around her and didn’t know what to do whenever he was with her, he’s so precious. Sometimes there were some things he did that didn’t sit right with me but he definitely deserved a happy ending with Hannah Baker; they deserved to be happy and in love and ugh. Also… took like 4823707592 years to listen to the tapes? 2/10.
Tony Padilla: Gay POC which I love because we need more of them. I love him he was so patient with Clay and all he ever did was try and protect Hannah’s wishes. Glad he shared the tapes with Hannah’s parents because they deserved to know why she killed herself instead of being left in the dust wondering why. I was always so happy when he came on screen. CLAY LISTEN TO THE GODDAMN TAPES. 1/10.
Jeff Atkins: My pure cinnamon roll, didn’t deserve to die because of a stupid girl who couldn’t own up to her mistakes. I hate how nobody including his parents and except Clay never knew he wasn’t drunk that night he died. Just wanted Clay and Hannah together. Your fave is problematic: uses “unique” 7 times in an essay. -5435973495797/10. I love him forever, hes so great. Never did anything bad.
Justin Foley: Didn’t deserve the home life he had BUT i really hated him for what he did to Hannah and the fact that he’s a rape enabler and a rape apologist like he literally let his best friend rape his unconscious girlfriend, covered up for him, and lied to her about it and then when she found out, he STILL was justifying what he and Bryce did by telling her that he didn’t tell anyone because Bryce does all this shit for him. KNEW that whatever happened at that party was fucking Jessica up but didn’t come forward until the very end. Claims he cared for her but you don’t do that shit to someone you claim you care about. Fuck him for that. 8/10.
Jessica Davis: She was so cool and nice in the beginning but then I hated how she got mad at Hannah and slapped her for the list instead of Alex, like really??? You think she asked to be on that list?? PLEASE. But after all that, she was still nice towards her and was never ill-mannered when it came to Hannah. Also, can we talk about how she didn’t deserve to be raped??? Justin Foley DEFINITELY didn’t deserve her. YOU GO GIRL. TELL HIM YOU NEVER WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN. 5/10.
Alex Standall: He made some poor decisions making that list for a stupid reason and then letting Hannah pay the price. I somewhat like him though. I think he was a redeemable character and had a conscience (although it was too late, rip Hannah Baker) and felt that he needed to own up to it and tell the truth, was ready for whatever penalty he was gonna get. Was the only one (for a while) who thought what the others were trying to do was stupid. He definitely deserved better too, he didn’t deserve to shoot himself (or in other theories, didn’t deserve to be shot by Tyler). Please be okay…please be alive, baby. 4/10.
Courtney Crimsen:GIRL, BYE. I hate and will always hate her character so much. Her and Bryce should just rot. She was a rape apologist and only cared about herself. Like girl I get that coming out is hard, I haven’t even done it, but to fuck up Hannah’s life like that? Are you serious? Justified Bryce’s actions to hide her truth. And she fucked up Jessica’s life too, in my opinion. She tried so hard to convince herself (and others) that Hannah was lying, Bryce isn’t a rapist, and that Jessica was never raped just so she can stay in the fucking closet. Like there’s nothing wrong with being gay. And she has two gay dads for fucks sake. 10/10 would always hate her again.
Zach Dempsey: I think he genuinely liked Hannah but after all the shit Hannah had been through and the fact that his friends were his friends, I definitely see Hannah’s side of why she shot him down. I think he, himself, was lonely too but in different way; just because someone’s popular doesn’t mean they’re not lonely. Didn’t get compliments so he stole Hanah’s when she needed it most (I hate how he did that ugh like WHY…did you really need it?). Redeemable character, though. Also…HE KEPT HANNAH’S NOTE IN HIS WALLET!!! 5/10.
Tyler Down: Fuck him. A fucking creep. Like, he stalked people and took pictures of them when they were unaware (especially Hannah) and when she confronted him, HE FUCKING SENT THE PICTURE TO EVERYONE. Claims he “loved” Hannah but really?? FUCK HIM. Why did he even have so much guns? I’m pretty sure he’s planning a school shooting…fucking psychopath…”I can take care of myself” BOY BYE. And if he did shoot Alex, FUCK HIM EVEN MORE. 9/10.
Ryan Shaver: Didn’t respect Hannah’s wishes. Only cared about himself and poetry. Didn’t even care that Hannah didn’t want her shit to get out. I only liked him whenever he said Bryce is a rapist and that Courtney should just shut the fuck up and stop justifying Bryce’s actions. 8/10.
Marcus Cole: He cared more about himself and his reputation more than anyone. Thought he was the shit. Sexually assaulted Hannah then called her easy for refusing. 9/10.
Sheri: I liked her and she was genuinely nice but she crashed the stop sign and left a drunken Hannah at the scene and fled. Caused Jeff to die and I hate her for it. Though she reported it because she knew it was the right thing to do, it was already waaay too late. 6/10 because of Jeff.
Bryce: Rapist. Douchebag. Scum of the earth. He didn’t even think what he did was wrong. He raped two fucking girls and didn’t even feel remorse. He just thought every girl wanted him and that was that. I hate him so much, he can die. 102804802020x100000/10.
Mr. Porter: Could have tried better to stop Hannah from killing herself. She was set on suicide until she had doubts and needed just one person to help her and the one person she came to didn’t care enough to chase after her when she left his room that day. Worst. Guidance Counselor. Ever. 8/10.
Because life won’t give us all the answers.
We don’t know why each individual person kills themselves and we don’t know why each individual person bullies someone and we don’t know why headphones always manage to come out of our pockets tangled.
13 Reasons Why won’t give us all the answers.
We won’t know if Alex will survive the gunshot wound.
We won’t know where Justin will go to live.
We won’t know why Tyler has all those guns.
We won’t know how Jessica’s dad will react when she tells him what happened to her.
We won’t know if Bryce goes to jail.
We won’t know what consequences Sherri faced.
We won’t know what comes out of the new friendship between Clay and Skye.
We won’t know if Courtney will ever come to terms with her sexuality and eventually come out.
We won’t know if Tony, Clay, Brad, and Skye will be good friends, or help each other through all of this.
We just won’t know because that’s not how life works.
We may know the what but we won’t know the why. No one is going to leave us thirteen tapes to finally understand.
We will not get another episode because this story is over, and all the questions we have will go unanswered, and we’ll just have to live with that.
Every episode of 13 Reasons Why: 1x11 Clay. Helmet. Your name does not belong on this list but you need to be here, if I’m going to tell my story, if I’m going to explain why I did what I did. Because you aren’t every other guy. You’re different. You’re good, and kind and decent. And I didn’t deserve to be with someone like you. I never would.
“Hey it’s Hannah, Hannah Baker. Don’t adjust your whatever device you’re hearing this on. It’s me live and in stereo. No return engagements, no encore and absolutely no requests. Get a snack, settle in. Because I’m about to tell you the story of my life…more specifically why my life ended and if you’re listening to this tape you’re one of the reasons why”
(I couldn’t fit all of them in)