In which we visit artist Kate Gilmore in her Brooklyn studio and receive the assignment to Walk on It.
Episode 8 Instructions:
1. Find a big piece of wood or board
2. Paint it heavy with a color that you love
3. Put on a fabulous pair of shoes and walk on it. When it looks cool, you’re done.
4. Upload it to your social media platform of choice with #theartassignment
5. Fame and glory. (Your work might be featured in a future episode.)
Learn more about Kate Gilmore, and watch an excellent video about Kate by MOCA Cleveland. And here’s one of me talking to Kate back in 2010 when she was commissioned to create a work for the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
Also mentioned: Jackson Pollock, Lynda Benglis, Bruce Nauman, Process Art