I’ve seen some people claim that Neville could be the Chosen One if Voldemort have picked the Longbottoms instead of the Potters, because both of them had babies in the end of July and it makes sense (that’s one of the thousand reasons J.K. is a genious) BUT I’m pretty sure lots of people realised that Neville wouldn’t survive like Harry did because…
SNAPE DIDN’T WANT ALICE LONGBOTTOM. (I said want because I have problems with saying Snape loved Lily, it’s more like an obsession but anyways)
Lily’s sacrifice is the only reason Harry survived. Because she had a CHOICE. Snape had asked Voldemort to keep her. And so Voldemort gave her a chance to scape. BECAUSE OF SNAPE’S BEGGING. The protection around Harry, the reason Riddle couldn’t kill this baby, we all know, was because of a choice.
Alice Longbottom would probably do the same to protect Neville. But unfortunately she wouldn’t have a choice to stand for her baby like Lily because probably no one would ask Voldemort to keep her life.
That’s why, again, Snape was a key character. You may not like him (like me) but we all have to agree that Severus Snape helped to build Voldemort’s biggest enemy.
- Was a bully
- Jinxed people when he was bored and laughed at it
- Was totally okay with Remus being a werewolf
- Became an unregistered animagus so that his werewolf friend wouldn’t have to suffer through the full moon alone
- Realized within a few years what a douche he was to people
- Changed for the better
- Loved his wife and his son with all his heart and wanted only what was best for them
- Joined the Order of the Phoenix as soon as he left Hogwarts
- Faced Lord Voldemort without a wand, in hope of buying Lily and Harry time, knowing that he stood no chance of surviving
- Thought muggle-borns were inferior
- Called his only friend “mudblood”
- Became a Death Eater
- Told Voldemort about the prophecy, bc he was 100% okay with killing an infant
- When he got to know that it was Lily’s son, he asked Voldemort to spare HER, not caring how she would feel to have her son and husband killed
- Bullied Harry simply because he was James’ son
- Bullied Neville until he became the poor boy’s WORST FEAR (that same poor boy who witnessed his parents get tortured to insanity by Bellatrix, yet SNAPE was his worst fear.)
- Shamed Hermione for her teeth until she cried. And then she permanently changed them.
- Threatened to kill Trevor when Neville failed to do a potion
- Used his position of power as a teacher to make students’ lives miserable
- Told everyone Lupin was a werewolf, and intended to get him fired
- Knew that Sirius didn’t tell Voldemort the Potters’ location (I could explain how but I can’t bother now) but still wanted him to get a dementor’s kiss bc of what happened when they were 16
- Helped Harry in the end
But sure, go ahead and tell me Snape was a better person than James.