Kody-keplinger

reasons to read run by kody keplinger:

  • a healthy, supportive relationship between two girls who value each others’ friendship SO MUCH and aren’t afraid of saying ‘i love you’ to each other
  • a disabled main character written by an author who has the same disability and knows how to write disability well
  • a bi girl whose story doesn’t revolve around her sexuality! she doesn’t let anyone tell her how she ‘should’ behave and absolutely destroys bi stereotypes
  • their friendship is the MAIN RELATIONSHIP in the book and they care so much more about their relationship with each other than any passing crushes
  • it’s probably one of my favourite literary lady friendships of all time
  • both girls completely dismantle the ‘good girl’/’bad girl’ boxes other characters try to force them into, and they’re beautifully complex and messy and real
2

List of the Week: Black Male YA Love Interests

What’s on our list this week? Ten books with black male YA love interests!

For more on each book, or if you need a text-version / captioned version, visit the list on our main site. For more fun lists and all things YA lit, visit our website, follow us here and on Twitter, and subscribe to our weekly newsletter.

10

this is what happens when you love YA novels and also you love Supernatural and also you are supposed to be writing YA novels of your own but

I can only promise this will happen on my twitter again and again when you least suspect it and I am supposed to definitely be doing something else

ps go read all the books referenced they are wonderful

[B]lindness, like all things, is on a spectrum. Most characters depicted in fiction are completely blind – they see nothing. In reality, only 10% or so of blind individuals are completely blind. The other 90% fall on a spectrum. Depending on the disorder or trauma that caused the blindness, a person could see in a thousand different ways. So many people don’t realize this, though. I actually get accused of faking my blindness because I can read large print text on my phone. I often wonder if this is because the media only portrays complete blindness as ‘blind’ and rarely acknowledges the other 90% who have some vision.
—  Author Kody Keplinger (The DUFF) in a roundtable at Disability in Kidlit