Okay i was thinking about writing Eight/Rose fic with this prompt the other day but ultimately decided not to so i’m gonna do this as eight/rose instead :)
1) John got home from an emergency double shift at the hospital ready to fall asleep and stay that was as long as he possibly could. He slid the key in the lock, already dreaming about his pillows, and was alarmed to discover that his door was already unlocked. He was positive that he locked it before leaving but he supposed he technically could have forgotten.
2) He cautiously entered his flat, looking for anything out of the ordinary. He didn’t have to look far, there was a blonde woman that he’d never seen before in his life asleep on his couch. His cat, Jasper, was curled up on her stomach. The only acknowledgement that he had entered was Jasper raising his head and blinking slowly at him before closing his eyes again, apparently completely content with sleeping on this stranger.
3) Rubbing a hand over his face, John detoured the kitchen and put the kettle on. He needed tea before he dealt with any of this. As soon as it was made he reentered the sitting room and took a seat in the arm chair, trying to decide the best course of action.
4) He was halfway through his cuppa when the blonde stirred. Without opening her eyes she threw her arm over her face, obscuring it, and then rasped out a question, directed at a “Martha” asking if she’d made her a cuppa as well because her head was killing her. And then questioned when exactly she’d gotten a cat.
5) When John answered that Jasper had been here a lot longer than she had and that he might make her a cuppa if she knew how she took her tea and if he knew who she was and what she was doing in his flat, she quickly took her arm off of her face and whipped her head around to see him.
6) The sudden movement caused her to groan and Jasper fussed at her for moving too much before resettling himself in a slightly different position without letting her up. The woman introduced herself as Rose and sheepishly admitted that she must have broken into the wrong flat while she was drunk.
7) John asked why she was breaking into flats in the first place and she just explained that she’d gone out drinking with an old friend who was back in town after spending a few months away and since she was a lot closer to Martha’s place than her own she figured she’d just crash there. She’d forgotten the key to her friend’s flat though and used some…questionable skills she’d picked up from her friend Jack to pick the lock…on the wrong flat.
8) John considered her and her story for a moment before commenting that he should probably call the police but he was too tired to deal with them and Jasper seemed to like her so she couldn’t be too bad. He told her she could stay on the couch and sleep off the rest of her hangover while he got some sleep himself.
9) When he woke up he could smell food cooking in the other room and it took a moment for him to remember that there was someone else in his flat. He pulled on a t-shirt and went out to the kitchen, finding Rose making eggs and toast. She grinned at him saying that it was the least she could do for breaking into his flat and becoming his cat’s new favorite. (Jasper was indeed twining around her legs and he watched as the cat followed her around as she moved about the kitchen). He found himself liking her as much as his cat did as they ate and talked.
10) An hour after she left John found a note stuck to his fridge with her name and number and a promise to take him out to get chips sometime if he wanted since he’d already eaten the one meal she was capable of cooking. Continued repayment for the loan of his couch, it said. He turned it over and saw the little note she left on the back that said it could also be a date if he wanted.
11) He called her that evening to tell her that he very much wanted it to be a date.