Seriously, if you are trying to burn fat off your body, Plyometrics is the fastest and most efficient way to do it. In just over a month, I lost 4% body fat just by inserting Plyometric exercises between my regular weight routine.
Whether you are trying to lose weight, evolve from the ‘skinny fat’ look, break through a plateau or just build sexy lean muscle, Plyometrics is the magic little pill.
So what is it?
“Plyometrics can be traced to Russia approximately 40 years ago. Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky is credited with creating the principle, which at the time was known as 'shock training.’ While observing some Olympians, he realized that they had more strength and power coming out of a higher altitude landing when their muscles were stretched as opposed to a normal jump.
Over time, plyometric training increases the amount of force you can produce and therefore plyometrics are effective in making you more explosive. This leads to improved sports performance, a higher vertical leap, and faster sprinting times. A study proved that lifting weights (squatting) in addition to plyometrics caused the greatest increases in vertical jump height.”
In short, Plyometric exercises increase your slow twitch and ultimately your fast-twitch muscle cells, which means….more muscle, less fat. Basically you turn into a calorie burning machine.
So here’s how..
Warm up for 5 minutes using your favourite cardio machine or skip rope
In between each of your weight sets insert one of the following Plyo exercises for 30-60 seconds and then resume your next set of weights:
From Oxygen Magazine’s February 2012 Issue and Oxygen Magazine Torch Fat Fast.
* You can find all of these exercises in picture and video form online if you are a beginner, also, check with your Dr. before beginning any new exercise program.
1. Jump Squats - Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Lower into a squat and, using your arms to help you if needed, explode off the ground, jumping as high as you can. Land with soft knees. Repeat.
2. Jump Lunge - Stand with your right leg forward and your left leg two to three feet behind. Bend your legs until your right thigh is parallel to the floor. Next, explode upward switching legs midair so your rear foot is now in front. Land softly and immediately repeat.
3. Broad Jump - Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Lower into a squat and, using your arms to propel you, jump as far forward as you can. Turn around and repeat.
4. Skater - Stand with your eight on your right leg, with the knee bent and left leg crossed behind you. Jump to the left, landing with your left knee bend and body lowered into a mini-squat, and bring the right foot behind you as if skating. Let your arms swing naturally with each jump. Repeat, moving quickly from side to side.
5. Mountain Climber - Begin in a push up position on hands and toes. Bring the right knee in toward the chest, resting the foot on the floor. Jump up and switch feet in the air, bringing the left foot front and the right back. Continue alternating the feet as fast as you can.
6. Skip Rope
7. Treadmill Sprint
8. Burpees - Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you. Kick your feet back to a push-up position* and immediately return your feet to the squat position and leap up as high as you can from the squat position. *You may also add in a push-up here to increase strength.
For example, if you have 3X10 sets of 5 upper body exercises here’s how it will look:
Exercise 1 (bicep curls) -1 set of 10 reps
PLYO - Mountain Climbers
Exercise 2 (tricep dips) -1 set of 10 reps
PLYO - Jump Squats
Exercise 3 (overhead presses) - 1 set of 10 reps
PLYO - Skater
Exercise 4 (pull ups) - 1 set of 10 reps
PLYO - Broad Jump
Exercise 5 (hammer curls) - 1 set of 10 reps
PLYO - Burpees
REPEAT for 2 more sets choosing different plyo options.
Another great video that I love is one from the gorgeous and inspiring Fitness Model and Oxygen Magazine Cover Girl and Columnist Jamie Eason:
If you are planning to kick your training up a notch with Plyometrics, please do make sure that you are taking into account your nutrition and caloric intake. Increase calories accordingly to ensure that you will have the best possible fat loss results!
Ensure you are adding an extra 1-2 servings of extra fats, protein and carbohydrates to your diet to keep your muscles fuelled and to prevent symptoms of overtraining.
Assim como os discos formam as discotecas, os pássaros uma revoada, os atores são parte de um elenco, instrumentos e cantores uma banda, os nossos sorrisos eternizam um momento, os dias formam a semana, e como as manadas são feitas de bois, o amor é feito de dois.