TOP 10 REASONS WHY I LOVE ZINES
1) they feel good in my hands
2) zines about sobriety make me feel less alone in a city & culture that can be isolating. zines have given me a place to write about my sobriety, mental health, and share my story with others - as well as hear the story of folks in the same boat!
3) they’ve introduced me to the best people
4) sending & making mail is a real blast!
5) writing to pen pals!
6) whenever someone is like “it’s hard to teach” “how do i get sober” “what is mental illness” “how can i find support for ____” i can reach to my bookshelf and say HEY i’ve got a zine for that!
7) zines make me use my hands. if i’m using my hands i’m using the rest of me.
8) the learning! i am always learning and sharing and being passed down to and passing along and so on and so forth
9) it expands what i “think” i am good at. with a BFA in dance i think, welp, thats what im good at thats what i’ll do. zines changed the course for me because it showed me i can be good at whatever i want to try my best at. with a gluestick, old magazines, typewriter, scissors, and a copy machine…there you go
10) i can hardly imagine a life without them. sort of sounds like a cheesy moment, but it’s true. have company opens next weekend! a real shop to buy zines in grand rapids, mi! it’s sort of surreal, but i couldn’t feel more grateful or more excited.
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL ZINE MONTH!