Have you seen the latest chapter??? Any commentary? I enjoy your analyzing posts
(my chapter posts are more like sarcastic and bitter remarks rather than actual analysis but sure have some thoughts):
once again I am boarding the fucking bertholdt train to hate town. bertl has once again solidified himself as the poster boy of my abject goddamn rage simply for the way he says and does shit.
at this point he seems incredibly suicidal as shown by him embracing the whole “life is cruel and unjust” dramatic voguing in the sky pre-explosion. this is not specifically why I hate him; holy god if anything I could understand why he’d feel that way in this situation. it’s not lost on me that he’s a teenager who is doing some heavy shit, and it makes sense that he seems to welcome death before he transforms - not to mention he’s weirdly chill about annie’s torture and disposal via hungry dogs (and the Award for World’s Best Boyfriend Goes to) and BFF reiner’s possible death. he’s “at peace” with everything or so it seems. (also momtaku wrote a great post about bertholdt’s state of mind).
but that’s what’s got me infuriated. he is TOO casual towards not only himself and his friends dying but the way he talked to armin and the 104th about their demise gave me chronic clint eastwood levels of eye twitch. look pal if you’re going to be a homicidal mass murderer for whatever motivation at least fucking commit to the part and be an asshole about it - or a huge remorseful crybaby who is obviously being forced to do something he doesn’t want. don’t be all easy breezy about it like “yeah sorry this is awkward and y’all have done absolutely nothing wrong and you’re not evil but you have to die and that’s just how it is” in the most calm, reasonable manner. not only does that come across as completely psychopathic with that whole lack of feeling and empathy but it disturbs me how much it felt like armin was talking to a brick wall who could not connect to him on any emotional level, who couldn’t even give him a reason or morsel of comfort considering what he was about to do.
tbh when mikasa swooped in and tried to cut him a new asshole I was like
“YASSS QUEEN FINISH HIM. FUCK HIM UP”
I understand bertl showed remorse and emotion at marco’s death and later during Eren Retrieval 2.0 and that he’s probably just mentally and emotionally exhausted at this point and can’t do it anymore BUT SO AM I. I’M EXHAUSTED. I’m tired of never hearing motivations or reasons from the Titan Trio, I’m tired of getting more questions than answers with every chapter and after bertholdt’s coy bullshit I’m getting more and more frustrated at this idea we have to feel sorry for them just because of Secret & Tragic Motivation. at this point I’m not sure any motivation will soften the fucking rage I have for that casual, mass murdering tall drink of sweat. at least reiner had the decency to get his face blown off.
as for hange’s fate, I actually feel very little - I’m almost completely apathetic. this could be either due to
1) my body and mind have shut down and gone into deny, survive and thrive mode or
2) I don’t really believe she’s dead. if I did, I’d probably be an anxious wreck with several liters of hard vodka in my system, I’d be in seclusion in the west wing and my interest in SNK would have plummeted by 85%. there’s been no real foreshadowing or indication that hange will die, and she’s already had a recent close call and survived - its not isayama’s usual pre-death style (re: erwin - now THAT is how you do deathflags for a main character).
Isayama has said that characters like sasha and reiner (there were others I can’t recall) are expendable and not vital to the plot. hange’s name was not included in that list which is not surprising because:
- hange is unique in that she is the only titan scientist/inventor of weapons. the only person who could replace her in that sense is moblit who is unfortunately caught in the explosion too.
- moblit is hange’s protector. as much as I love him, he is an expendable character and a point was made to show him lunging for hange and yelling her name just as the explosion goes off. I feel like perhaps moblit has died or been severely injured protecting hange. which is going to truly suck and will make me regret ever using the pun “mobliterated”.
- I know it’d be hard to believe that hange or moblit would survive an explosion that size but isayama has been known to kind of gloss over injuries before. I mean hange was fucking impaled with a grappling hook and then body slammed spine-first against a rock column and walked it off with nothing but an arm in a sling. levi’s been cut up from his fight with kenny squad and the next chapter, with no time skip, he’s completely injury-free. armin has been thrown off a horse and rolled like a bowling pin over hard terrain and sustained a head injury and survived. reiner currently has no FACE and is probably still alive, shifter Immortality Hacks not withstanding. we’ve seen these characters survive some pretty fucked up injuries because realism has no place in Suspension-of-Disbelief Shounen Battle Hell.
- isayama doesn’t seem finished with hange. he said that he would eventually show readers why Levi is such a clean freak - much later we got chapter 69. isayama has also said he’d eventually reveal hange’s actual gender in the manga. we haven’t had that yet. granted, he could reveal it via some other means like an interview or blog but he seemed to be referring to the manga at the time.
- hange was named successor of Command for the survey corps. yes, this could change but with everything already mentioned hange’s character arc and plans just don’t seem finished. there’s still a lot to happen for hange. I’d be very, VERY surprised if hange dies. and also incredibly disinterested in the series.