Steal my idea: 9-week DI’d unit
Allow me to talk shop in the midst of this debate while I drink wine.
I’m planning a 9-week differentiated unit for English 10 honors. Here’s the bullet point breakdown:
- Everyone has to read the first chapters of Frankenstein and 1984.
- Students choose which to read. (Lower readers will be pushed to 1984, which has a lower Lexile. I have a few 9/low 10-grade level kids in honors)
- Have read by deadline and take comprehension test over text (week 3)
- Keep a vocabulary log of “new words learned” and identify examples of figurative language while reading
- Choose 20 words to create a digital slides-book analyzing words for prefixes, suffixes, roots, and origins. (week 5)
- Create a research project on one of following topics
- Find examples in modern society of where humanity has or has not heeded Orwell’s warnings, and make connections to the text
- Find examples where Frankenstein has directly influenced modern science, and make connections to the text
- Create a product of choice: Traditional 3-5 page research paper, or website with text and images. (week 8-9)
- Use MLA citations and documentation in works cited for everything.