The Seven Most Common Lies About Abortion
Most of what we know about abortion comes from anti-abortion propaganda found in crisis pregnancy centers, sidewalk counselors, and spoon-fed politicians’ speeches. Their lies serve to create a culture of fear and stigma around abortion, when in reality abortion is one of the most common and safest medical procedures. Click through for more details:
- “Abortion causes breast cancer.” Not according to the National Cancer Institute and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- “Abortion causes infertility.” The Mayo Clinic and Guttmacher Institute disagree.
- “Ultrasounds convince women not to have abortions.” Of the 40% who chose to view their ultrasound, 98.4% continued with their decision to have an abortion.
- “Abortion damages your mental health.” Neither the American Psychological Association, nor the American Psychiatric Association agree.
- “Increased clinic restrictions make abortion safer.” Most restrictions passed have little to do with client safety - larger parking lots, hospital admitting privileges, etc. - and only serve to drive historically safe clinics out of business.
- “Abortion is dangerous.” It’s one of the safest procedures in existence.