some simple (but effective) tips when your skin is not cooperating
hi friends, here are some tips i’ve learned over the years that help me keep my skin in check. feel free to add any tips that have benefitted you :)
- wash your pillow case! this one can really be overlooked. i change/wash my pillow case once or twice a week, even when i don’t wash my sheets. this really helps makeup and bacteria from building up
- probiotics. i know some of these supplements can be pricey, but if you can get your hands on some they are magic! i take one everyday. they support healthy gut flora which helps nourish skin, hair, and nails. you can also get probiotics from fermented foods like miso, kimchi, and sauerkraut.
- vitamin c. so i started taking vitamin c supplements two weeks ago when i was trying to fight off a cold. the next week, i couldn’t believe how much my skin texture had improved. vitamin c is essential for the production of collagen and elastin that keeps skin toned and firm. it also helps regenerate vitamin e in the body (also super good for our skin)!!!
- eat more foods with vitamin e. foods like avocados, almonds, olives, spinach, peaches, and tomatoes will make your skin v happy.
- take your makeup off before a workout. i know this one seems so obvious but i honestly just started doing this. normally, i would go to the gym right after class when i still had makeup on. i don’t wear liquid foundation, but i would conceal or powder some areas. recently though, i’ve been going to the gym right when i wake up while my face is nice and clean and i think letting my pores breathe and sweat without the makeup on has helped so much!
- reduce dairy consumption. for the past week or two, i unconsciously cut out a good majority of the dairy products i typically eat. even though this was unintentional, i began to notice that my skin was looking much more clear. conventional dairy products at the grocery store can contain antibiotics or added hormones that spike insulin in the body, causing breakouts. it can also lead to a rise in oil production that will fuel the breakouts. experimenting to see if this helps your skin could definitely be beneficial!
- do not touch your face ever ever..never. just don’t touch your face. you may think your hands are clean but better safe than sorry.
- sanitize your phone. !!!! think about this bc i think a lot of people forget but there is so much bacteria on that thing. clean your phone screen to reduce the bacteria that could come in contact with your face!