Your voice sounds completely different in different languages. It alters your personality somehow. I don’t think people get the same feeling from you. The rhythm changes. Because the rhythm of the language is different, it changes your inner rhythm and that changes how you process everything.
When I hear myself speak French, I look at myself differently. Certain aspects will feel closer to the way I feel or the way I am and others won’t. I like that—to tour different sides of yourself. I often find when looking at people who are comfortable in many languages, they’re more comfortable talking about emotional stuff in a certain language or political stuff in another and that’s really interesting, how people relate to those languages.
These are basically some of the quotes on life that I’ve read and loved!
1. Je pense, donc je suis- I think, therfore I am. This is the French version of the Latin phrase Cogito ergo sum.
2. Le temps est un grand maître, dit-on. Le malheur est qui’il tue ses éléves- We say that time is a great teacher. Too bad it kills all its students.
3. L’enfer, c’est les autres- Hell is other people.
4. Qui vivra verra- He/she who lives, shall see. I think this the French version of Time will tell.
5. Et d’abord, ne pas nuire- First, do no harm.
6. Quand on a pas ce que l’on aime, il faut aimer ce que l’on a- When one doesn’t have what he/she loves, he/she must love what they do have.
7. La vie ce n’est pas d’attendre que les orages passent, c’est d’apprendre a danser sous la pluie- Probably the most cliched line on the list, it means- Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.
8. Le bonheur est parfois caché dans l’inconnu- Happiness is sometimes hidden in the unknown.
9. Vouloir, c’est pouvoir- Wishing is power. The French version of where there is a will, there is a way.
10. Savoir, penser, rêver. Tout est là- To know, to think, to dream. That is everything.