1. take pictures of your friends. take pictures with your friends. take as many pictures as you possibly can. even if they start to get annoyed with you, even if either of you feel “ugly” that day, even if you just took one the other day. because a day is going to come where all you’ll have is pictures and wishing you had more than what you’re left with hurts just as badly as losing them.
2. do the thing that scares you. do the thing that you’ve always wanted to do but have always been too scared to try. don’t force yourself if it doesn’t feel right but don’t be scared to try new things. as cheesy and cliche as it sounds, stepping out of your comfort zone, even for a moment, is worth it. regret is not.
3. it’s okay to hurt. if it hurts, that means it mattered.
4. sometimes, when something breaks, it cannot be fixed. there was nothing you could have done to make them change their mind, nothing you could have said to make them stay. the two of you broke apart, but that doesn’t mean you are broken.
5. heal, mourn, grieve. let yourself feel. don’t try to force the healing, it’ll come naturally, when it’s time.
6. there are going to be days when all you do is lay in bed, drink coffee, and refresh various social media apps. that’s okay. you’re allowed to rest, you’re allowed to do nothing. you don’t have to validate doing nothing.
7. you’re going to face a fear you didn’t even know you had. but you won’t have to face it alone.
8. don’t keep it all in your head. let the bad thoughts out to make room for the good ones.
9. whatever you think you did, whether it be in this life or a past life, to deserve suffering and pain does not exist. you don’t deserve to hurt. you don’t deserve to make yourself hurt. you don’t deserve to suffer. you don’t deserve to make yourself suffer.
10. you’re going to do things, you’re going to make decisions, you’re going to make yourself see things or read things that are going to hurt you. self harm isn’t limited to bruises or bleeding; you’re hurting yourself by caring about someone who doesn’t care about you anymore. that’s not to say that you should stop caring about them, but you should definitely stop checking their twitter account in the middle of the night.
11. you don’t need to look like anyone else to be a certain kind of person. you’re you and you are enough just the way you are.
12. get outside and lose yourself beneath the rays of the sun, escape to a place where it doesn’t hurt as badly as it does inside your house.
13. you’re gonna screw up, but that doesn’t make you a screw up.
14. it’s okay to set boundaries, it’s okay to distance yourself from others. it doesn’t make you a bad person, it doesn’t make you mean. it’s okay to put your own needs and wants above others. it doesn’t mean you don’t care, but you need to care about yourself first.
15. there was a person you thought you could never live without. and you will be without them. and you will still be alive.
16. you know what will make you feel worse, and you know what might make you feel slightly better – even if it doesn’t work 100%, it’s still better than doing the wrong thing. these choices are yours, so make the right one all of the time.
17. family isn’t always blood. sometimes, family can be the people who choose you and who keep on choosing you, not because they have to but because they want to. this isn’t a family you’re born into, but rather a family you find and create for yourself.
18. home isn’t four walls and a roof over your head, but rather someone that makes you feel safer than any building can.
19. happiness won’t always be so far and few.
20. never underestimate just how healing a car ride with your best friend can be.
21. you matter. you really do.
22. hope isn’t silly and though sometimes slippery, never stop clinging to it.
23. try taking your own advice from time to time. allow yourself to grieve, to be wounded, to cry, to hurt. allow yourself to heal. try to remember that one day, having all of this hope won’t have been for nothing and start promising yourself the things you promise others; that it’s going to be okay, genuinely and sincerely. because it’s the truth. you survived this year, you’ll survive the next.
23 things i learned at 23 // happy birthday to me (cc, 2017)
In between jobs, Sam and Dean would sometimes get a day – sometimes a week, if they were lucky. They’d pass the time lining their pockets. Sam used to insist on honest work, but now he hustles pool, like his brother. They could go anywhere and do anything. They drove 1,000 miles for an Ozzy show, two days for a Jayhawks game. And when it was clear, they’d park her in the middle of nowhere, sit on the hood, and watch the stars.. for hours, without saying a word. It never occurred to them that, sure, maybe they never really had a roof and four walls..but they were never, in fact, homeless.
In between jobs, Sam and Dean would sometimes get a day – sometimes a week, if they were lucky. They’d pass the time lining their pockets. Sam used to insist on honest work, but now he hustles pool, like his brother. They could go anywhere and do anything. They drove 1,000 miles for an Ozzy show, two days for a Jayhawks game. And when it was clear, they’d park her in the middle of nowhere, sit on the hood, and watch the stars… for hours… without saying a word. It never occurred to them that, sure, maybe they never really had a roof and four walls…
i think i’ve fallen in love with my best friend but not in the way you may think i’ve fallen in love with her smile, an illuminated crest of glowing warmth that makes me feel more at home than the four walls around me or the roof over my head. i’ve fallen in love with her laugh, my favorite song on days where i feel as though i will never smile again. i’ve fallen in love with her hugs, because they are rare, like the solar eclipse; she is the sun and i, her moon. i’ve fallen in love with the knowledge that i have someone there, even if not physically, always, always, always. i’ve fallen in love with knowing that i am understood even when i cannot understand myself. i’ve fallen in love with not being alone, even when i feel like i’m the only person on the planet. i’ve fallen in love in a way that cannot be explained because “in love” is marriage and honeymoons and children, but this “in love” is family and safety and security. “in love” is everything i’ve never had with a romantic partner. “in love” is her. “in love” is supposed to be reserved for romantic love, but love is something that cannot be summed up or described in a poem or song, and “friend” does not seem like enough to describe our relationship because we are more, god we are so much more. love is not limited to romantic entanglements and soulmates can be platonic, for she is mine; i know for a fact that she is at the other end of my red string. i’ve fallen in love with my best friend, not romantically, but in love, definitely.
“I realised something,” she says in quiet disbelief.
“What’s that?” Her best friend asks in reply.
“Home isn’t four walls and a roof. It isn’t two hands and a heartbeat. It’s all of that and none of it.”
Her friend frowns, “Explain.”
“Home is the sound of your best friend’s laughter at three o'clock in the morning after she’s been crying since midnight. Home is riding in the car with the windows down in the middle of the day during autumn. Home is your favourite song, your favourite book. Home is seeing your mom cooking breakfast in her pjs after you’ve stayed up all night talking. Home is when you see your brother finally make that homerun even if you don’t care for sports. Home is the little things; the things you might not remember a year from then, but they matter. They’re the most important moments because when they all come together under a roof filled with terrible singing and laughing and food, you know in your heart you don’t want to be anywhere else.”
Otabek prefers cooking over baking, while Yuri prefers baking over cooking. So often, they’re in the kitchen working on two different things, and eventually they find themselves playing music and singing and dancing together while they get dinner and dessert prepared.
(This is for you Heather bby~) Otabek is actually lactose intolerant, and so Yuri switches his milk diet to be things like soy milk and whatnot and they avoid cheese as much as they can. A little bit wouldn’t bother him, but they try to avoid it if they can.
Every so often they like to go through old pictures on their computer together, and they end up laughing so hard every three pictures and they tease each other about some of the faces they make for weeks.
They got in the habit of doing their morning routine together once their sleep schedules were about the same times. They brushed teeth together, ate breakfast together, the works. Sometimes one is up earlier and they get started on breakfast while the other sleeps in, but they always end up eating it together.
They totally “borrow” each others’ clothes too.
After they retire, Yuri decides he’s writing a book about success and self discovery and overcoming obstacles and all that bullshit, but he often works late. Otabek would see him asleep at his desk, and he would simply save the progress, close everything down, and then pick Yuri up and take him to bed where they both sleep cuddling each other.
Before they got their mattress, they were just using a simple air mattress for the night when they first moved in. Yuri had already passed out on the mattress, while Otabek had finished up a few things. When he went in, he just flopped on the mattress, launching Yuri into the air. Yuri would have been angry, but he had never seen Otabek laugh so hard in his life that he couldn’t stay mad.
Yuri didn’t have a childhood, for obvious reasons, and so Otabek made it a small personal mission and he promised himself he would give Yuri the childhood memories he never had the chance to have. They would make pillow forts, play stupid games meant for children, and just do anything that would let Yuri be a kid for a while.
Picture them with jet lag for a second and trying to sleep when they absolutely can’t. Great. Now imagine Otabek being the kind of person that tells stupid ass knock-knock jokes and puns when he’s slap happy but can’t sleep. Boom.
SO. MANY. SELFIES.
Let’s not forget that they go to random places within the town, exploring where they’ve never been before and trying new things together. They ended up finding a place that sold popcorn cooled with liquid nitrogen, and they loved it to bits and they love finding hidden gems like that in the world.
Sometimes, when the days are long and tiring or just overall bad, they just hold each other in the living room, in a place where it just smells like home, holding their lover and kissing them from time to time until the time comes to pull away, and they’re only reminded that everything is going to be okay.
They would have arguments that go on for weeks, but they’re over the stupidest things like who would make a better evil scientist and if the cake really is a lie.
They try to adult™ a lot but they still eat kids cereal and watch cartoons and colour together in a colouring book because you don’t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Just,,,picture them so happy and content with life because they’re with each other,,,smiling and kissing and holding each other because home isn’t just four walls and a roof,,,,it’s each other.
Pairing: Newt x reader Warnings: swearing, angst, badass!reader, violence Summary: (Y/N)’s new to the Glade- the only problem? She’s a girl. Oh, and she has WCKD tattooed in bold, black letters just below her jaw. Mistrust runs deep when your life could end with the flip of a switch, and you’re trapped in an enormous Maze with no way out. Can she adjust to her new life, along with the mysterious boy named Newt, or will everything go wrong just as it always does?
**Hey guys! Hope everyone’s having a great week, this is a multi-part series- so send me an ASK if you want to be tagged. I’m redoing my tags right now, so if you want to be tagged in a certain fandom send me an ASK**
When the two of you got to the Medjack’s tent (which was basically like the Glade’s medical tent, as Newt had quietly explained) there was nobody there. The makeshift, one roomed, building was completely deserted, but Newt didn’t seem to mind.
He just shrugged and walked to retrieve some bandages from a shelf, leaving you to sit hesitantly on a bed in the center of the room. For a few seconds he rummaged around the shelves, muttering under his breath.
As he busied himself in the corner, your eyes darted around the room. From the looks of it, the entire tent was handmade. Just like the Slammer. Sticks and branches were roped together to create the skeleton, and a dusty white sheet served as a roof and four walls.
Why was everything so rudimentary here? It looked like this place was built from the ground up.
Your eyes did another pass around the room, and noticed something that made you actually gasp.
“Wh-what’s that?” You breathed, eyeing the word WCKD in black, bold, letters on one of the tent’s walls.
“What?” Newt turned, “What’d you say, love?”
“What the hell is that?” You raised a hand to point to the letters, and Newt faltered, “That’s, that’s, uh-”
You cut him off before he had the chance to explain, to give you some bullshit answer, “That’s what’s on my neck, isn’t it?”
When he didn’t answer, you pressed him again, “Isn’t it?! Why is it on the tent and why the fuck is it on me?!”
“It’s complicated,” He said quietly.
“No, no it’s not,” You got up and made your way over to him, “Just tell me what the hell is going on! Why can’t I remember anything? What’s WCKD? You know but you won’t tell me!!”
He just sighed and looked away, but that only infuriated you more, “Newt! I swear to god, tell me!” You pushed his shoulders, “What. Do. You. Want? Why am I here? What does WCKD mean?!”
When he stayed silent you went to push him again, but he caught your hand this time. In a flash, his gaze darted from the floor to you, “I wouldn’t.”
“What the hell are you gonna do?! Huh??” You struggled with him, but once again his grip was like steel.
“Just sit down, please, your wrists.” He nodded towards the bed.
He was holding something back, and you could tell.
When you didn’t move, he pursed his lips and sighed, “Listen, I can’t imagine what’s running through your mind about me right now, about the Glade, but I can tell you you’re safe here. Nobody’s gonna do anything without Alby’s permission, or mine, so just sit down and let me help you.”
Your glare didn’t falter, but with that, you did ask he asked. Holding out your hands, you watched intently as he drenched a cloth with alcohol and gently dabbed it on your wrists.
“Holy shit, fuck,” You hissed at the sting, and he grimaced along with you, “I know, I’m sorry.”
A few seconds longer and he removed the cloth, eyes flicking up to gauge your reaction before he reached for some bandages. But even after he’d taken it off, the sting persisted. That god awful sensation burned through your wrists, and you couldn’t help but growl through your teeth as he wrapped them up.
“Alright,” He breathed moments later, “Now that that’s done-”
But you cut him off, “Wait, wait, shut up.”
Something had changed, and the most powerful dejavu you’d ever felt rippled through you. Your name….. what was your name? You remembered being called something, somewhere in the past. It was on the tip of your tongue, but you just couldn’t place it.
Sounds and smells flooded your mind, and you remembered being in a hospital bed?
“Wait,” You closed your eyes and focused for another minute, and then it came to you, “(Y/N), my name’s, (Y/N).”
“Well,” A grin cracked across his face, “Nice to meet you, (Y/N).”
Tags under the cut- like what you read? Leave a comment, or send me an ask! I seriously love reading everyone’s feedback :)
The Impala, of course, has all the things other cars have… and a few things they don’t. But none of that stuff’s important. This is the stuff that’s important. The army man that Sam crammed in the ashtray – it’s still stuck there. The Legos that Dean shoved into the vents – to this day, heat comes on and they can hear ‘em rattle. These are the things that make the car theirs – really theirs. Even when Dean rebuilt her from the ground up, he made sure all these little things stayed, 'cause it’s the blemishes that make her beautiful. It never occurred to them that, sure, maybe they never really had a roof and four walls… but they were NEVER, in fact, h o m e l e s s.
I purchased 40 acres of landlocked land in NE Vermont (the “Kingdom”) So, I found a trail that came close to my land on a neighbors property and got permission to extend it to my land. I built the building out of cedar T&G and shingles on the gable end. It has a loft in the upstairs for sleeping.
Starting in June, I cleared trees for an 800’ road and now I’m building a 16×32 cabin on that site. I currently have four walls and a gable end built, hoping to get a roof on before the snow.
gentlemen, please return to your seats. The fasten seatbelt sign has now been
switched on and we will shorting be landing at New York’s JFK airport.”
supposed that, for most people, those words were comforting. The flight was
about to end and they could get on with their lives as planned, unhindered by
fasten seatbelt signs or cramped legroom or turbulence. But he didn’t feel
comfort when he heard the pilot’s announcement, only fear and anxiety and a deep-seated
longing, cresting and churning inside his stomach until he was double-checking he
knew where the motion sickness bag was in his seat compartment, just in case.
that he didn’t want the plane to land. He was desperate to get to the end of
his journey – it had been years in the making. But there was so much pressure
for this meeting to go exactly as he’d envisaged it that he was getting himself
worked up over the semantics. What was he meant to say? What was he meant to
do? Because this was Jack. And Jack mattered.