Elizabeth Short Autopsy Findings
On January 15, 1947, a woman walking with her daughter stumbled upon the badly mutilated corpse of a young woman lying beside the footpath. Naked, the corpse had been bisected at the waist, drained of blood, and scrubbed clean. Soon identified as twenty-two year old Elizabeth Short, the injuries to the body were so extensive it was impossible to determine if any particular injury killed her. Here are some interesting findings from her autopsy report:
- Trunk entirely severed with a single incision, parallel to the navel
- deep vertical cut on pubic area, mimicking a hysterectomy (womb intact)
- Inner thigh deeply gouged, lacerated; small chunk of flesh removed.
- Pubic hair clipped and inserted forcibly into anus. Anal rape by foreign object - no sperm detected.
- Intestines and lower organs had been removed after the trunk was severed; found under buttocks, still attached.
- Both breasts had been gouged with the tip of a knife and her right breast had been almost entirely removed.
- Her mouth had been slashed at either side whilst she was still alive; most of her teeth had been broken by a blunt instrument, possibly a baseball bat.
Elizabeth Short’s murder remains unsolved