The Celtics have two picks in a row (21,22) and one thing they haven’t had in a while is height. There aren’t many guarantees drafting in the 20s but i can guarantee that he won’t get shorter (Of course I loved Hasheem Thabeet). Fab Melo is a legit 7 footer. He’s not the best center in the draft, but he may be the best one left at the 21st pick. I don’t care about offense. He’s a good defender who can move and (sort of) rebound. That’s what the Celtics need. I’ve seen people compare him to Perk defensively, which is great, but he’s also 2 or 3 inches taller. He doesn’t need to be a great offensive player, if he can finish around the rim, Rondo will get it to him.
With the other first round pick, I hear Royce White and Andrew Nicholson. I don’t imagine that they’ll both be available, so take which ever one is left. I’d be happy with that. Adding two big guys would be a good move. However, if the Celtics were to take the most explosive scorer on the board, I’d accept that. They could use a 2 or 3 who can crate their own shot and be a solid offensive contributor. Guards aren’t a huge need. But I wouldn’t hate Marquis Teague. If Bradley is going to start at the 2, Teague can backup the two guard spots. I would love Rivers, but he won’t be available. And surprisingly, won’t fit in Doc’s system.
Overall, I’d aim to add two big. At least one player who can be a presence in the middle. Someone who can grab some boards. an ideal draft for me would be Royce White and Fab Melo.
Yes, it’s me. An Orangewoman. I will always and forever be one so don’t try to get rid of me so fast. You’ve been trying to get rid of me for four years now. Four years of clobbering me with snow, changing chancellors, avoiding Bird Library, making funny videos, making dumb videos, surviving Juice Jams and Mayfests, sweating in dorms, and finally making it into Chucks. Well, I did it. We all did it.
This is not the conclusion of this blog because there’s way too much to say. I will wrap up this four year course with a handful of key lesson takeaways:
1. When in doubt, major in the iSchool.
2. University Union makes more money than I ever will.
3. Yogurtland is the best thing to happen to Marshall Street because it isn’t between two slices of bread.
4. Cafe Kubal is better and you know it.
5. The architectural dimensions of Faegans are about the same as three fat canoes stuck together.
6. A photo of Crouse at sunset will get more “likes” than a photo of your first born child.
7. If you have 7 hours and 18 beers to kill, hit up a SU Football game.
8. Neverland is where the cars in the Castle parking lot go.
9. Bird Library is the anti-Adderal.
10. It’s harder to find a humble person in Newhouse than it is to find Lyman Hall.
11. Lanyards, SUID’s, Syracuse apparel… freshmen, we wish we were you again. Do your thing.
12. Whitman will become a Greek letter fraternity in the upcoming year.
13. Funk N’ Waffles has the best breakfast sandwiches on Marshall Street.
14. Varsity has shadily good breakfast sandwiches on Marshall Street.
15. You can rent out books from Bird Library.
16. In 100 years, someone will find Kent Syverud’s diary and make it into a famous book, play, and movie called the Diary of Chancellor Kent.
17. Castle is better when the “sun’s out” because at night, the city of Syracuse is “guns out."
18. Fire alarms are as common as high fives in Dellplain Hall.
19. I should’ve talked to that kid on the unicycle.
20. We all could’ve done a better job at letting Fab Melo cheat off of our tests. It’s our faults.
21. When Nelly Furtado, the Dailai Lama, Dave Matthews and Cyndi Lauper come to your school, just know that it is NOT going to be that kind of concert.
22. Crows are usually signs of bad things to come in fables and fairy tales. The same goes for Crow at Syracuse.
23. An electric gatorade from Harry’s actually takes electrolites out of your body forever.
24. Nothing says "atmosphere” like four outside tables at Faegan’s for lunch. Caprese panini anyone? Sweet potato fries?
25. J.Michael’s mocks us as we walk by with only enough money for a medium sized amount of fro yo.
26. Hoople Hall. Who knew?
27. Should’ve been Bandier. They make going to concerts a 9-5 job.
28. If you don’t have a sassy gay friend to give you advice, then just read Jerk Magazine out loud to yourself.
29. The only way to justify having a broken back while camping outside the Dome is, “Well, it’s an experience!”
30. Syracuse University might not be located near a beach, but that’s why we have SAE.
31. Calvin Harris, you peaked at our Juice Jam.
32. 8 AM classes, Shma8 AM schmaclasses.
33. Good luck getting to your Friday recitation at 9:30AM.
34. And God said, “Let there be sun on a day before May 1st."
35. Marshall Square Mall Fitness Center, a Gym for Real Women.
36. Syrajuice, you are missed everyday. Class of ‘13.
37. Bleu Monkey…because we didn’t know better.
38. The Final Four is our first place trophy.
39. We can all aspire to have salad bars like Ernie Davis Dining Hall in our future kitchens.
40. Get involved on campus before you join Citrus TV.
41. Food.com isn’t a website. Oh wait, it is.
42. Never stop meeting people or saying, "Hey pretty girl!.” It’s bound to work out eventually.
43. Run the Euclid stairs to prove you’re a human.
44. Embrace Syracuse as a home. A weird, grey, average, fun, life-changing home. It’ll always be there for you.
Before everyone jumps all over Syracuse and calls them overrated for losing on the road to Notre Dame stop and think. While they haven’t really been tested this year they got to the 20-0 plateau and the number 1 ranking by playing defense and protecting the basketball. They were on the road without defensive specialist Fab Melo playing a good Irish team and this game is NOT worthy of storming the court. I thought that this WOULD be their first loss of the season and I can’t imagine that I am the only one. Anytime a #1 team loses you have to run out there for ‘the experience?’ That should be reserved for the really special wins. Not regular season games. Keep it up college kids and it’ll be banned before you know it.
Back to the Orange.
Syracuse will still contend and probably win the Big East and will be in the hunt for a #1 cede come March Madness. That said there are two things fans of the Orange should be worried about:
First, the lopsided-ness of the schedule in terms of strength of schedule. They have one UGLY stretch starting wiht Georgetown Feb. 8 and UConn Feb 11 at home and then a couple of road tests @Louisville Feb 13 and @Rutgers Feb. 19 then South Florida at home, @UConn Feb. 25 and Louisville again one March 3 to end the regular season. But I think they are still capable of 27 or 28 wins as long as they keep up the defense.
And maybe more imortantly, why did Fab Melo not play? Exactly what kind of 'academic issues’ does he have? They are really going to have to loosen up their rolls down low to replace the presence of Melo if these 'issues’ persist.
The Celtics’ rookies are better than any other rookie in the NBA this year. You might even say there is Anthony Davis and Austin Rivers in the Hornets, or whoever in whatever team, but for me Sullinger, Melo and Joseph are the best and luckiest rookies. Imagine, Anthony Davis and Austin Rivers doesn’t have the same lucky to learn things about the game from guys like Paul Pierce(one of the best SF in the game) and Kevin Garnett(for me the best PF in the game right now). They are going to learn things and get tips from one of the best players to ever play and they know this and they give so much love for the Celtics legends, not only PP and KG, but the whole team. I can’t wait to see this new Boston Celtics playing. Really, you don’t know how much excited I am to see them all play together, practice together, smile together, share emotions, take pics, everything. Damn!
It’s a long text, but I had to take it out of my chest.