Ok, I was thinking how helpful it will be to make this. This is my first year here, but I moved in during the summer session so I know what we need.
What to bring:
1. A MICROWAVE - I can not tell you how important it is you bring one! CSUN Dorms doesn’t offer microwaves with your kitchen. Message your roommates and see if anyone has one. Kitchen or not, you need one!
2. A toaster - Or suffer with soft, cold bread. Bread = College food essential. Learn to enjoy it, along with noodles and Ramen.
3. All kitchen things if you have one - Food, dishes, forks, spoons, pans and pots, paper towels, cloth towels, dish soap, spatulas, strainer…Oh, and a water bottle! The sink water won’t kill you here.
4. Clothes - You know. Shirts, pants, socks, blah. JUST DON’T FORGET A TOWEL!
5. Fun stuff - TV, gaming stuff, iPods, chargers, cords, books, headphones, speakers, whatever makes you happy. There is room.
6. Bedding - THESE BEDS SUCK! It took me over a week to get over how hard they are. The size is a Twin XL, so go get bedding for that. To save yourself a lot of misery, get a bedding pad or whatever it is called. I accidentally sent mine back home (5 hour drive from here). If it is good, I’ll give you a link of where I got it to save you time. Mom is visiting tomorrow and I’ll be getting it then.
7. Internet cord - The wifi can get pretty bad here. Get a 6’ cord, you’ll be pumping 30 mb/s into your computer. Do it.
8. All hygiene things - Conditioner, shampoo, soap, scrubs, toothbrush, face wash, moisturizers, SUN SCREEN (!!!!!!), ear swabs. Things like that.
10. Food, laundry, toilet paper money - ALWAYS KEEP THIS TO THE SIDE! Housing doesn’t offer free toilet paper or laundry. $10 per month for laundry, split up toilet paper with roommates, and make sure to always have food money. ALWAYS.
THINGS NOT TO BRING:
1. All those things you’re debating if you should bring or not. Don’t. You’ll end up screwing yourself and your roommate over. Don’t be that guy…or girl. Keeps all your collections at home, don’t bring giant stacks of CDs or DVDs, no mountain of plush toys, no useless toys, no books you’re going to “read because you should.” No. We know that last one won’t happen anyways.
2. All your drama - College. Not high school. I’m currently living with a 47 year old (hell), and this guy still hasn’t grown up. Don’t be my 47 year old roommate.
Aaaannnd…that’s my Dorming guide for you guys. So far I’ve been doing good this year. Much better than dorming last year. Just don’t bring too much unless you’re organized and whatnot. If you guys have any questions, message me. I’ll be moving into my permanent dorm 4 days before you guys too, so I can show you the layout of the dorms if you haven’t visited.
Yesterday I found out my new school has a feminist club, and I messaged the girl who heads it and she was super nice. c: I really hope we’ll be friends (I bet we will b/c she likes Buffy and Firefly.) It’s called The F Word if anyone at CSUN is curious. =)
I also decided that when I get to school I’m going to put up fliers inviting people to hang out with me and eat delicious food and watch Buffy and/or cheesy kids movies, because I’m not shy about things like that, and I want to make plenty of friends. (I’m also going to put up fliers offering free baby-sitting for young mothers, because I think it’s a nice thing to do.)
idk. i have to make a decision soon. my app to csu fullerton is still pending, but if i get accepted there, then this makes the most difficult decision of my life. i’m glad i waited a semester to reapply to the schools i really wanted to go to, but now i have to actually pick. there’s pros & cons to both & ahhhh!!! my brain is going nuts. i need a drink, lol.
but fun facts: steven spielberg went to csulb. james cameron & kevin costner went to csuf. paula abdul, helen hunt, and eva mendes went to csun.
I need a place to live in Northridge, California. My roommate screwed me over a little bit, and come the end of this month, I’ll be homeless. I don’t know anybody in California, so I have nobody to really lean on until I can get on my feet. I can afford 750/month for rent AND utilities. 800 MAX. Private room preferred, but at this point I can’t really afford to be picky. The closer to CSUN the better because I can’t afford a parking permit so I’ll need to walk to class.
I finally visited the campus! Damn, that place is huuuge! About 4-5 of my old campus can fit inside CSUN. Dorms are faaar away from the campus. After getting lost I found them and they’re not that bad. I’m used to my old dorms but these have a mofo bathtub! I was like “Holy shit! You guys serious?!” My tour lady was like, “Wtf, it’s just a bathtub.” Bathtubs are awesome. Anyways, I got my ID then being me, lost it. I’ll get another one once I’m back in two weeks. Oh, and that rec center! FUUUCK! I’ve never seen a gym that big! Three stories and filled with badassness. It was great. Augh, besides the heat and long walks, I’m looking forward to it. It’s so different and new to me. This should be good.
If anybody has a place/room I can rent for <$700/month near CSUN (a mile or less) I’d be super grateful. (I don’t have a car or the budget for public transit so I need to be close enough to walk to school.) I’m going to end up homeless if I can’t find a place soon because my dad is a Grade A Jerk.