Being abused made me such a “good kid.”
- Always polite
- Never acted without permission
- Never spoke out of turn
- Always did what I was told
And it’s shitty that I was considered mature and praised for those things, and all of those characteristics have translated into me being an immature, “bad adult.”
- Have difficulty making a keeping friends
- Can’t act without permission/am dependent on others for direction
- Am terrible at communicating
- Have no agency/personal compass
It’s a really difficult thing for people who were abused as children to grapple with.
What made us good children make us bad adults.