what the frick is wrong with tumblr staff excuse my language but this reblog/caption update was so many kinds of stupid and unnecessary??? Like I know, I know we say this about every update because change is weird and uncomfortable but this is one which is seriously flawed. This may be a bit (a lot) incoherent and it is long but I’ve written this real quick to summarise my opinions…
While I understand the intent is to prevent people from changing others’ words, there are lots of downsides:
- This allows and forces deletion of entire conversations as opposed to sections thereof
- Removal of artist’s captions etc
- The inability to fix spelling errors or strike out misinformation in a previous reblog - meaning you have to read through an entire essay only to find out something is wrong - heck you can’t even correct your own mistakes!
- Also the inability to emphasise previous statements via bolding meaning you have to repeat it or leave it be
- Forcing the addition of endless captions that get so small you can’t read them - this is especially difficult for the RP community where posts in a reblog chain need to be cut short but still contain the previous paragraphs for context - otherwise you have to make new posts using copy+paste or use the “reply” feature which can be a hassle and is just rather pointless.
- It’s silly when you’re continuing a single conversation.
- What happens when the person who you want to reblog from to avoid following captions you don’t like has deleted their blog? Kinda screwed there, aren’t you?
- People can spam posts with nonsense, explicit, harmful, or nsfw content and you can’t change that because the deletion of captions is all or nothing. Posts can be made unpleasant or unsafe instantly, and coupled with the above point you may be stuck with that.
staff in your post do emphasise how, if an addition is unwanted, you can just reblog directly from the blog of a previous caption but isn’t that what you do anyway? And doesn’t this make it rather pointless to follow certain people if you have to reblog from someone else? What if you want to exclude one caption in the middle but not the ones before or after said caption? Perhaps I’m missing something but I don’t see how this would be possible to do now.
And while “Nobody should be able to put words in your mouth!” via editing previous captions (which is legit great, for sure!) what then is the point of being able to delete the whole caption of a post? Not even parts of it, the whole thing. So you can’t change what people say but you can to remove it completely? Also, on a more random note, how will this impact memes or posts where an image or [parts of] text is changed for humorous effect? You even point this out yourself! These sorts of posts are kind of part of tumblr and internet culture so that’s kind of a bummer imo.
IDK this feels like it had good intentions (with the whole you can’t change what people way thing) but it also facilitates easy removal of captions without even having to try any more (I mean while you can’t physically delete captions by accident how easy would it be to press that button by accident and not notice?), and ruins the point of fluid conversation, especially messing up how the role playing community would work on here. For every good thing that happens during an update there’s some awful down side that makes it pointless or worse than before (e.g. improved video player was good but autoplay and the weird pop out thing was not).
staff, I think you’re genuinely making this site very user unfriendly and ignoring genuine complaints about things that are broken and need fixing for stability and ease of use.
Why not, for example, implement an “edited by” feature, so that if a person changes a post for some reason or another, it says so beside the OP or in the source etc? I don’t know how feasible this is, but if it is possible, I think this would make far more sense, because then users would know exactly who changed what content and possibly why.