AHHHHHH i'm so hyped for part 4 after reading that little snippet!!! any idea about when it might be out?
YAY!!! I’m glad you’re so excited!! Unfortunately, it won’t be out for a little bit, because I’ve got another fic ready to post before that one once I actually finish part 4. But I promise I’ll try not to let it be too long!!
I’ve been thinking about doing this post for a while now, but haven’t gotten around to it. Basically, I get emailed a lot by young writers asking for general writing/how-to-get-started advice. I figured it might be a good idea to do a post, so I can get my thoughts out in an orderly fashion and refer people to it :) Plus, with NaNoWriMo coming up, a lot of new writers are readying their keyboards (hooray!)
So, here it is: Kat’s Short List of Writing Advice
1. Finish. Finish the short story. Finish the poem. Finish the book. There’s nothing wrong with starting new projects, and some projects will be abandoned. That’s true. But there’s so much to be learned from completing a story. I started writing novels when I was 12, but I never actually completed a novel until I was 17, and I learned SO MUCH from that project because I actually got to the end of it.
2. Realize it will not always be fun. You will not always love your story. You will not always feel confident about it. I don’t say this to make you feel down–if anything, this is to make you feel better! So many young writers tell me “I don’t think I’m meant to be a writer… I get writer’s block and don’t feel like writing,” or “I just haven’t found the right story yet… I get halfway through and I start second-doubting everything about it."
That’s perfectly normal! And that in NO way means you’re "not cut out to be a writer,” or that you ought to scrap the book. I have never written a book I didn’t want to burn at some point during the process.
Obviously, if you hate everything about writing/storytelling, then maybe writing isn’t for you. But if you feel compelled to write, then write. Even if you don’t feel compelled all the time.
3. Connect with other writers. This is easier for some people than for others, but attending local writing conferences/book festivals can be a lot of fun. In-person and online writing/critique groups can be great, as well. Do what makes you comfortable. But seriously, writers are a tribe. We get each other, and can often offer a unique sort of support through the writing/publishing process.
4. Read/Watch critically. Love a book? Ask yourself why. Was it the characters? The plot? The language itself? What about it? The way the heroine was a horrible person, yet still somehow sympathetic? The way the plot was non-stop action, yet the reader still got to know all the characters by the end? The way the paragraphs read like poetry?
What can you learn from that?
Hate a book/movie/TV show? Again, why?
So, that’s it for now! 4 tips to get someone started :) Hope it was helpful!
Don’t really have an exactly favorite set, just wear whatever I feel like it ^_^ But this one time when I went clubbing I wore this weirdest outfit while trying to woe one of the the DJ’s there, I kinda felt sort of out of place xD
~ Ask Kat #61: Colorful outfits, colorful music ~
(OOC: I need to work on better clothing AND colors for said clothes >_< Also, anthro Katty because I wanna get into drawing them more =w=)
(Included a GIF and a clean version since the GIF is hard to read)
since you're helping people with body issues HOW DO I DEAL WITHC MY ACNE HOW DO I GET RID OF IT
GRANDPA’S PINE TAR SOAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS MY FAVORITE SOAP ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING ANCE, EXCESSIVE B.O., ECZEMA, A DRY RASH, PEELING SKIN, OILY SKIN
THEN THIS STUFF RIGHT HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY OKAY LET ME TELL YOU. IT GETS RID OF ALL THAT.
NOW WHEN YOU’RE USING IT YOU’LL BE LIKE WHAT IS THIS AWFUL BROWN BAR OF HELL. BECAUSE IT SMELLS LIKE RUBBER AND BEEF JERKY.
BUT WHEN YOU WASH OFF TOSE SOAPY OLD MAN STINKING SUDS, YOU BE A SMOOTH UNSCENTED NEWBORN SUPERSTAR. THIS SHIT MAKES YOUR SKIN FEEL BRAND NEW. AND IT KILLED ALL MY ACNE.
That is amazing that you sold your trilogy at 19! Selling it so soon, did you ever become discouraged? Were there ever days you just thought, ' I can't do this. I'm going to amount to nothing. My writing is trash.'? And if so, how did you overcome those or would recommend someone over come those?
And yes, all the time. I first set my sights on publishing when I was 12, so there were 7 years in-between that first attempt at writing a book and finally selling a series. Being rather young for much of that period helped a lot, I think. I was rather confident of my writing when I was a kid—it wasn’t until I got older that I started realizing how much further I still have to go!
Patience and perseverance are really essential to writing and publishing, though, and I don’t know a single writer today, published or otherwise, who doesn’t throw up their hands from time to time (or…you know, every day) and think “Who am I even trying to fool? Obviously I suck as a writer and am never going to get better.” Writers say this all the time, and I’m not sure people believe us. But this is really how we feel!
Which isn’t to say, of course, that we don’t also feel moments and days of utter glee over our writing, either. It’s a roller coaster, seriously…
All I can say is:
1) Realize that your feelings are totally normal and have been felt by many, many (if not all) successfully published writers
2) Realize that your feelings don’t necessarily reflect the truth. While writing a book, I frequently go from thinking it’s the best thing since sliced bread to thinking it belongs buried at the bottom of a trash heap. Within a week.
3) Keep pushing. Not everyone agrees with this. I know some great writers who don’t believe in pushing yourself to write when you’re really down about it, but personally, I need to get the ball rolling even when I feel crappy writing-wise, or I’d never get anything done—and that’s the main goal. To get stuff done. To get things written. Writing is a skill like any other—people forget that. The more you write, the better you’ll be. If you were unsatisfied with your skills as a soccer player, or a pianist, you’d practice more, right?
4) Stay inspired. Read great books.
5) Keep your eyes on your own paper. Don’t compare your writing journey to anyone else’s. It will never be the same, and it shouldn’t be.
The Alpha pack has systematically attacked Stiles and his friends for months, testing their strengths and weaknesses. When one of the Alphas goes after Stiles, he awakens in the hospital and realizes that something’s wrong. Very wrong. All sounds seem to hurt him, he can’t understand what anyone is saying, and when he tries to speak, it’s gibberish. How is he supposed to deal with the fact that he’s lost the ability to communicate with his dad and his friends?
Without his ability to talk, his sarcasm, and his wit, what does Stiles even have left? Enter Derek, the only one who seems to make it better. Words:68,916 Chapters:13/13
Hands Too Shaky To HoldWhen Derek shows up late to his art class, the last person he expects to see modeling is Stiles. Words:14,415
Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No EvilWhen Stiles Stilinski signed up for his social psychology class, he wasn’t sure what he expected from it. He definitely didn’t expect the professor, a month in, to tell them they’d be spending the next three weeks actually living with certain handicaps. Words:12,830
Ain’t Nothing so Good as the Cake and Eating itDerek thinks he’s doing alright in life, with his family at his side and a job he loves. Despite his family’s concerns he remains adamant that he doesn’t need a mate, afraid to take the risk of letting anyone close enough to try to hurt his family again. That is until he realizes that his true mate has been right under his nose for years, and that now through his inaction he may lose him. Words:51,001 Chapters:15/15
He’s carefully balancing the sandwiches and the two biggest tupperware containers he could find that both had functioning lids when the front door opens and he almost drops everything right there in front of the stupid fountain.
If that’s Derek Hale, he’s definitely not a mountain man.
Mating Habits of the Domesticated North American WerewolfDerek doesn’t do pining. He doesn’t. So when it becomes clear that Stiles is much more interested in having Derek as a new best friend than a boyfriend, he puts on his big boy pants and makes it fucking work. He becomes the best goddamn friend a spastic teenager could ever hope to have.Words: 35458 Chapters: 5/5
In Other Words, Baby, Kiss Me Stiles has simple goals in life. To successfully complete his secret radar project without getting fired, to get a cottage on the Moon, and to untangle his mess of feelings for Moon Station 3 deputy, Derek Hale. Heck, he’ll even settle for two of the three. Words: 61264 Chapters: 4/4 <this is my favorite one>
Something Mine Stiles kissed Derek like he was the only other person in the room.Words: 2224 <I wrote this one tehe>
It’s okay anon, it’s a normal part of being a fan of the two of them. Personally as long as you remember that they each have partners they love very much I see no harm in it. After all especially earlier on in their careers they didn’t care what they did and almost seemed to encourage rumors they were gay.
We know they aren’t but they’re adorable together either way. Hetero life partners man.
Im gonna use this to highlight a few things cause I have a lot of messages and ill just answered them all here.
Yes I made my jokes about it.
No I don’t think this is about his sexuality.
The problem with this is that it was a blatant pornographic photo that was launched publicly on a public site to millions of his fans as soon as he favorited it. Lots of younger girls will see it because lots of younger girls will check his faved tweets.
Now lets take a moment to imagine how many of those girls will potentially think its ok to post photos of themselves in compromising potitions on the off chance a celebrity will like it. Its not about “liking a porn pic” its about liking a porn pic where your young fanbase can see.
That being said there’s also the debate of whether or not it was HARRY himself who did it.
If it was. Shame on him.
If it was one of the other boys as a joke, shame on them its not an appropriate prank.
If it was a “management stunt” its a bit vile and disgusting. That’s not appropriate handling of sexuality rumors nor is it appropriate proof of sexuality..