▪ “Not according to keikaku!”
▪ “What I’m supposed to do in this situation?”
▪ “Okay, I’m not gay.”
▪ “What is this warm, fuzzy feeling inside of my chest?”
▪ “Hmm, I think I still have pudding at home.”
▪ “Did he forget about V14?”
▪ “I must protect this smile.”
▪ “A pillow and a blanket is all I need.”
▪ “This boy is my son, he is so precious and deserves everything.”
▪ “What does it mean?”
▪ “Why did I forget my camera at home?”
▪ “So fucking done…”
▪ “Conceal, don’t feel!”
▪ “This chair is so uncomfortable. My butt hurts.”
“That right there is a Ken Nagle card if I’ve ever seen
one.” Commander enthusiast Scott Larabee interjected during our slideshow of
the set. It was the best compliment I think I’ve ever received on one of my
designs. You see Ken is famous for making sets full of big splashy creatures
that make commander players happy.
“Thank you so much! That’s actually a card I designed.” I
“Uh no.” Ben Hayes the lead developer of Commander 2016
corrected me. “The card you made was an abomination.”
And it’s true. Here’s the original card I designed:
Creature – Dragon
Whenever Time Dragon
goes to the graveyard from anywhere you may pay 2U. If you do, exile Time
Dragon and each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library,
then draws seven cards.
It turns out that there’s an easy way to both discard your hand
and get three mana in eternal formats with Lion’s Eye Diamond.
Thankfully the updated card still delivers everything I
liked about the original while giving red a way to refill its hand in the mid
to late game.
Here’s the final version that will be in Commander 2016 (note the image is from an
internal alpha build of Magic Online):
You can find this beauty and other
select cards from both Commander 2016 Edition and Conspiracy Take the Crown
will be available through Magic Online Treasure Chests starting November 16.