From 2008- 2009, ABC aired a short lived show called Eli Stone, starring Jonny Lee Miller. Eli was a lawyer who started having hallucinations caused by an aneurysm, and realized those hallucinations might actually be visions.
Many of Eli’s visions revolved around George Michael (and all of the Season 1 episodes shared their titles with his songs). However, when he appeared in Episode 9, titled “I Want Your Sex”, he wasn’t just a vision anymore.
George hired Eli to represent a teen girl who played one of his songs, the titular I Want Your Sex, during an abstinence only rally at her school. During her trial, she used both facts and personal stories to explain why abstinence only education is more dangerous than safe sex education. When the lawyer for the high school claimed that the song she chose promoted sexual promiscuity, George Michael was called to explain the true meaning behind the song.
Wethersby: Mr. Michael, tell me, what inspired your song I Want Your
Sex? A song, by the way, which rose to number one on the world charts, a song
that helped you win a Grammy for Best Album of the Year.
George Michael: Well, it was inspired by a relationship. Like most of my
work, it was autobiographical.
Wethersby: You heard Principal Ackerman describe the song as
George Michael: But it’s just the opposite. Ironically enough, I wrote the
song about abstinence, and I was very much in love with someone at the time.
Wethersby: So how do you feel about your song being used to protest an abstinence only sex education program.
George Michael: Well I applaud it, obviously. When I wrote it, we were in
year six of the AIDS crisis, a crisis that Ronald Reagan did not even address publicly
until there were over 21,000 people dead. And what the government is doing
right now, funding federal programs that tell children that condoms don’t work,
is killing people all over again.
I have seen a lot of posts discussing how we lost such an important member of the LGBT community. This scene has always stuck with me, and I’m sure most people would not have had a chance to see it. Though it is through a fictional lens, George Michael is reminding us that there have been times where misinformation and government inaction made it seem wrong to have even monogamous sex with someone that you love, and that stigmatizing sex, and gay sex in particular, is dangerous.
So, here’s the thing. Trump’s team does not need to put trans folks in concentration camps to destroy us. It is far, far easier:
1) Bathroom legislation prevents us from moving around. Especially when they are encouraged with bounties to incentivize nabbing cis-passing folks. (Bounties sound ridiculous? Lots of states’ first attempts at these laws included bounties. It is a Real Thing )
2) “1st ammendment / religious freedom” laws prevent us from accessing goods and services.
3) Abolishing Obamacare prevents the poorest among us to access any transition-related healthcare. Pressure on insurers and health providers to drop trans healthcare prevents the rest of us from access.
4) Forbid trans people from changing their legal documents to match their new name and gender. This makes us easier to out.
As a reminder, here is a quote from Ken Blackwell’s org. He is on the Trump transition team:
“There is no rational or compassionate reason to affirm a distorted psychological self-concept that one’s “gender identity” is different from one’s biological sex.
Neither lawmakers nor counselors, pastors, teachers, nor medical professionals should participate in or reinforce the transgender movement’s lies about sexuality–nor should they be required by the government to support such distortion.“
The above 4 strategies drive us deeper into poverty and raises an already staggeringly high (over 40%) suicide attempt rate.
Gender id is not a protected class in most states. Trans people have very, very few legal protections. It is still legal in some states to fire us, evict us, and even use the "trans panic” defense to get out of a murder judgment.
Bathroom laws in schools are the easiest to begin with because the young are our most vulnerable and easiest to control, plus the supreme court has yet to decide if gender identity is protected by Title 9. Pay close, close attention to this case (Gavin Grimm, a trans boy) once it begins, as well as Obama’s initiative to direct public schools to give trans kids their bathroom access. If these fail, our trans youth is going to be the first to fall.
Cisgender and want to know how to help?
1) Your trans friends might need help getting their docs changed before January. They’ll have to do a lot in person, so they may need time off, rides to the courthouse, papers notarized, or even a cash loan.
2) Business owners can ask their insurance to cover trans healthcare now, so 1-time things like surgeries can get scheduled asap.
3) Teachers, parents, etc who can sit on school boards can fight trans panic in the bathroom.
4) We need cis voices to combat transphobia wherever it happens, from “jokes” to legislation. And we need cis voices to openly support us and show us we are not alone.
Kaneki Ken, a butterfly story and the latest wheel of fortune
When I first starting reading Tokyo Ghoul (almost 6 years ago
lol), there were 2 characters I thoughts were associated
with “Butterflies” : Touka and Hinami.
Why Touka: the 1st butterfly in the series is seen with
Touka. Later in TG:re calendar, she is depicted as a moth.
Why Hinami: Hina’s introduction as a Chimera with kagunes
shaped like butterfly wings. Plus, the child became a strong link between Ken and
Touka, with them almost co-parenting the girl. She also helped in proving to Kaneki that not all ghouls are monsters but can be victims too. The young girl also showed to Touka that hatred and revenge weren’t the only answers to loss.
However, later arcs in TG:re
forced me to give up on that theory and see the larger picture. Before
turning into a centipede, Kaneki was on a journey to become a butterfly.
I never could finish the insects/arachnids/arthropods theory HEREregarding TG 2015 calendar (sorry).
Ken, first steps in to a new world
The panel mentioned above, when taking into context, is in
direct parallel to what was going on inside Anteiku in TG #09.
In this chapter, after Touka rescued Hide and Kaneki (yet again),
Yoshimura is talking to the half-ghoul about him belonging to two worlds
instead of none. The old man also spoke about his hope that, by staying at
Anteiku and living this dual life, Ken would see for himself whether ghouls are
nothing more the monsters they are depicted as. Queue to Mr.Butterfly slowly
approaching a beaten up Touka before resting on her finger.
Interestingly, Chapter 9 is titled “Hatching” (coming out of one’s egg), possibly in reference to Kaneki facing the reality of being a ghoul, in addition to his journey as the “Goat’s Egg”. People
don’t decide to be conceived/to be born: someone birth them while they’re passive
in this situation, with only variables like hormones making it happen.
Symbolic around the world and through time
Positive: young women’s availability for marriage; “you’ll receive money”; “a loved one will
visit you soon”; love; conjugal bliss and joy, peace, harmony, life
mind, fire, reincarnation of dead soldiers, rebirth, transformation, change,
transitory nature of happiness, circle of life.
soul of dead children, bad omen, death, spirit of the dead, sickness, warfare.
If Kaneki is symbolised as a Butterfly, then the panel in TG #09
is literally Ken tentatively approaching the ghoul world and getting to know
his ghoul self.
After the chrysalid phase, the newly born butterfly enters a new
world (it can fly now). From then on, a butterfly needs to find sustenance and
a mate to pass on the genes like most animals (I say most because some animals such as jellyfishes, female Aphids and female Komodo Dragons, to name a few, can CLONE themselves when no mate is available).
By working at Anteiku, interacting with ghouls and even doves,
Kaneki started to make his own opinion of this new world. It’s a grey
environment rather than the dichotomic world of good (humans) versus evil (ghoul) he
first thought of. The reality even made Kaneki break down yet again, after the murder of Mrs. Fueguchi.
Kaneki was slowly finding his bearing even if he still
considered himself a monster and was slowly cutting himself from Hide (le sigh…).
Then, Yamori arrived and the butterfly had its wings clipped off repeatedly, chained to the floor, until pain and anger turned it into a
For some time, this new creature dwelled into the darkest part
of the ghoul world. Chinese red-head centipedes lived in dark damp places and
feed on whatever it can grab. Ironically enough, they are not really aggressive to
This period of Shironeki loneliness was the time when Ken was
lost and didn’t even realise/accept that he was searching for home.
Kaneki chose to surround himself with people who wouldn’t go
against his quest, however they would feel about it. Consciously or not, Ken
also chose not to bring anyone linking him to the human world. Banjou & Co
were from Aogiri, Hinami didn’t know about Hide and was an orphaned ghoul
without much knowledge of the human world, Tsukiyama was ghoul who embraced their
own predatory nature and appetite as an art with no concern for humans. There is
no way Kaneki would have brought Nishiki (because
Nishio knew Hide and was now part of Anteiku with a human lover) or Touka
(who knew of Ken’s link to Hide and, as confirmed recently by Kaneki, because he
wanted to protect her and her peaceful life).
We all know how well this ended for everyone…
In TG:re, Kaneki Ken
was announced to come back as a butterfly. Ken, with his restored memories and his status as
a lone / lost centipede still lingering.
In :RE #63, Shinigami!Ken is showed next Eto at the press
conference where the writer trolled everyone by coming out as a ghoul. Right
before that: a butterfly slightly similar to the one back in TG #09, is seen
flying above/next to Touka.
Further in the story, on death’s door, Arima envisioned his younger self
freeing a butterfly from his grasp. Most of the fandom agrees to see the
butterfly as Kaneki Ken (or Sasaki Haise). To me, it also meant that Arima
freed the creature that he had kept captive and/or protected : Kishou was the
one who subdued Kaneki Ken back in V14; he helped in creating Sasaki Haise and
the dreamworld (golden cage) the younger man lived into for a few years. Arima
helped in rebooting the story of Butterfly!Ken by giving him a way to escape his physical prison (leaving Cochlea with the help of Squad Zero) and a goal to
tempered Ken’s own wish to die (temporary Band-Aid known as “my final wish”
trope aka Ken became the OEK to fulfill his Father and Mother’s last request).
RANDOM FACT: Interestingly, in Gnostic art, the angel of death is depicted crushing a
butterfly underfoot, either because the butterfly symbolises Life or the
Corrupted Flesh. Maybe Ishida used this as a reference
when Arima, god of death, freeing Butterflyneki ?
Now that Kaneki had his wings back, the journey has :restarted.
A butterfly is flying
around to search for subsistence and for a mate to keep the genes going. It’s
searching for a flower.
Guess who has been depicted with flowers?….Yep, Kirishima Touka.
Apart from the numerous illustrations Ishida has bestowed to the
fandom, one of the “in your face” panels appeared in TG:re 16 when Saiko and Shirazu
saw Touka with a bouquet in her hands, strolling the hospital. The reason of
her being at the hospital is still unknown, I hope Ishida will get back to that
(Yes, that’s Touka’s bra
RANDOM FACT 2: Butterflies
have six lets and they each have sensors on them that can tell just by landing
on a flower what it tastes like. So now you know why my boi Kaneki was
groping them titties like no tomorrow !
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A panel of Ishida “Did
I stutter?!” Sui would be the colour page from TG:re 122.
Everything is there: Touka, death flag, flowers, le innuendo “Bloom
me a flower of my own / Place your order, My only flower” (depending on the translation)…EVERYTHING !
way, B-fly Kaneki has found a flower to lean on.
For a butterfly, flowers are sustenance (nectar), home
(some would stay around the same bunch of flowers, meet their mate and lay
their eggs). Flowers can also be a butterfly’s last resting place. Indeed, since butterflies are short-living animals (less then a year if no hibernation), it’s not unusual for them to die around flowers since drinking is
the only thing they do when they’re not looking for a mate, flying towards another
flower, escaping a predator, etc.
On the other hand, most plants need insects like butterflies to help
in the pollination. For many plants, no wind or animals => no pollination
=> NO FRUITS aka new life. It means death in the long run…
know if this means a potential Touken child. While no protection
was present in RE125, Kaneki’s fertility as an artificial OEG has yet to be
RANDOM FACT 3: Sodium as well as many other minerals
is vital for the butterflies reproduction.With all the sweat and tears
the couple got on Chapter #125, plus all the salt from some parts of the fandom…Touka
might get pregnant with twins
😂 ! Ahem.
The current arc low key should be called :RE Touken
shows some of Kaneki and Touka’s mutual feelings and fears for the other. They are two very clumsy, insecure and fearful kids who
cared a lot about each other, about their safety, wellbeing, happiness,
stability, etc. Circumstances and their own short coming kept them apart for years up until now. In :RE 122, Touka confessed her feelings to Kaneki and my boi Ken was also completely
exposed by Haise, sip sip.
The latest chapter, TG:re 125 titled X, went back with the butterfly parallels.
The first page is a resting butterfly seen through some window (?). One similar to all the butterflies
in the series, showing some form of continuity.
The final panel shows Kaneki in his now infamous foetal position. Touka is watching over him as he sleeps, resting with his head on her lap.
Many fans have spotted the Tarot numbers 6 and/or 19 from the
get-go so I won’t elaborate on them (why can I never see those numbers as
quickly as they do, sheesh!). What kept
my attention was the shape of the sheets around Kaneki.
They’re shaped like a wing !
>> me reaching towards the symbolism and beyond!!…but maybe not
The circle seems to be closed, at last. The lost butterfly
finally found its flower.
Now, will the flower bear fruits? Like butterflies, flowers don’t live
long: they “die” once the pollination is successful and a fruit/seed on its way
to be created.
Will Touka be Kaneki’s last resting place?
Only Ishida-sensei knows…
Tarot number I did see was in the
title: X, the Wheel of Fortune (10).
If I’ve got enough time and it’s not already done, I might post
something on this:
A- Tarot Card X : the Wheel of Fortune (10) and the possible
meanings for the chapter
B- The tarot card and its links to Touka, Kaneki and their
relationship and the opposite combination (example: [X & II] and [II &
1/ Wheel of Fortune and Touka,
the High priestess
2/ Wheel of Fortune and Ken,
the Hanged Man
3/ Wheel of Fortune and the
Lovers aka Touken
4/ Wheel of Fortune and the
What a time to be alive !
NOTE 21.05.2017: I double-checked the words for this post and I would say that Kaneki would be a MOTH rather than a Butterfly.
I didn’t make the difference mostly because I didn’t realise that english speakers have very different words for these insects (in French, a moth = un papillon de nuit, while a butterfly = un papillon de jour…) Sorry… Moths and Butterflies were lepidoterans formely separated into opposite sub-species (
Rhopalocera). Now the distinction is a little obsolete.
Still, in culture and through time, moths have been viewed as ugly and negative (in opposition to Butterflies). Many of the “negative symols” of Butterflies are also found for Moths, especially Death. Yay ! With the Reverse Tower of Doom, Reverse Sun of bittersweetness and a possible Wheel of Fortune…What kind of tragedy will befall onto Touka, Kaneki (and maybe their hypothetic unborn child) ?
[Track #9] Title: Awake Singer: Kim Seok Jin (JIN) Writer(s): Slow Rabbit, 진 (JIN), 제이홉 (J-Hope), June, Pdogg, 랩몬스터 (Rap Monster), ‘Hitman’ Bang Producer(s): Slow Rabbit, 진 (JIN)
Length: 3:46′ Lettering Part: “Maybe I, I can never fly”
2) LUST FOR LIFE ( feat. THE WEEKND)
3) 13 BEACHES
5) BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, BEAUTIFUL PROBLEMS (feat. STEVIE NICKS)
6) TOMORROW NEVER CAME ( feat. SEAN LENNON)
8) WHITE MUSTANG (rumored title)
9) ROSES BLOOM FOR YOU
10) SUMMER BUMMER (feat. A$AP ROCKY, PLAYBOI CARTI, BOI-1DA)
11) GOD BLESS AMERICA 12) CHANGE
13)WHEN THE WORLD WAS AT WAR WE KEPT DANCING
Note: Quite a dark chapter? I guess? There might be a lack of Negan in the next part though, need it for further plot development lol. I’ve got things outlined until like Part 14 and you guys better prepare because we are heading towards the climax! Anyway, hope this part’s still enjoyable to read!
“But at least I’m not the one sleeping with the enemy.”
You betrayed everyone.
“Remember that the next time you fuck Negan.”
You betrayed Glenn, you betrayed Abraham. You betrayed your family and everyone else. Everything seemed perfect and then you just had to break it. Initially, you thought it was a spur of the moment kind of thing. It’s the end of the world and you were craving for companionship, for intimacy and out of all the people you could sleep with, it had to be Negan. It was a mistake. The first time was always a mistake.
But there came a second and a third and it happened over and over again. It wasn’t a mistake anymore.
Character(s): Negan x Reader x Simon (post-apocalypse) Summary: Negan and Simon welcome the Reader to her new home. Word Count: 4,053 Author’s Note: I am so excited to delve into this latter half of this story. I have no idea what’s going to happen between these three (kidding, maybe I do, who knows really lmao). But I just want to thank everyone who likes, replies, and even sends me asks about this story. It truly means the world to me; you guys have no idea! So, thank you so much and I hope you enjoy! :)
You thought everything was a
dream. You were afraid to wake up and realize that you were still in that
abandoned house with Chris and the other two men. You were afraid that you were
simply dreaming of Negan and Simon coming to your rescue.
But, you knew that somehow the
bed you were lying on was much comfier than the one at the abandoned house.
Quietly, you grunted at the pain your body felt; it was such a long time since
you had a good rest.
Slowly, you opened your eyes to
see Negan and Simon talking amongst one another at the couch. You looked
around, furrowing your brows at the unfamiliar room.
Maybe you weren’t dreaming after
“[Y/N]…” Simon said.
You shook your head, covering
your ears. “You’re not real. Fuck! I’m losing my mind,” you mumbled to yourself,
sitting up and shutting your eyes.
For once, you wished you had
woken up from whatever hallucination you had slipped into. This was torture.
You could hear Simon’s voice so clearly and when you looked at Negan, he seemed
OK, list of positive events in the Reylo Fandom...(in chronological order)
So we’ve been through a lot of bad shit. We’ve had some major divisions, too. And just imaging all of the friends many of us old cane-wielders have lost along the way genuinely makes me very depressed and I hope somehow things change some day…
So frankly I’m done reading that sad shit- let’s get started with the good!!
1. Those first two weeks after the film came out and people, still on their main blogs, started posting voraciously about TFA and started tentatively asking each other about a possible Kylo and Rey dynamic only to discover it wasn’t just them- others felt it, too.
2. The discussion in the tiny fandom over what to call the ship. There were multiple candidates, some simple, some other mishmashes of words, but eventually posts began to emerge saying “Well it’s settled then- Reylo it is.” Yep, the ship name was decided on Tumblr. And actually at the time I remember posting saying I preferred one of the other candidates (can’t remember what it is now, though- maybe kyrey?), but it wasn’t long until #Reylo became the main name and tag for the ship and, hey, you can’t fight progress.
3. The first amazing fan art started to appear! Many of our very first artists are still with us! I remember the first original piece of fan art I ever saw for this ship came from @solarfugue(arriku) and I was instantly in love.
4. Fics were steadily being written! Through everyone’s early stories, certain patterns began to emerge- ‘force bonds’ being the primary one. These would be things that would be included in nearly every single fic as a prerequisite after February 2016.
5. Just around the very, very end of 2015, the dedicated side blogs began to emerge and the fandom began to really solidify.
6. The first big exchange (to my knowledge) was the Valentine’s Day fic exchange Feb. 2016! Tons of people got in on it, and it started rumblings for possibly more writing projects.
7. SMUT WEEK was the last few days of february going into March 2016. Basically, after a stream of people happily chatting and giggling along here on tumblr, a whoooole lotta risqué art emerged at once, and as a consequence, I declared the second or third day of this trend to be Smut Week. Everyone really grasped onto the idea with both hands and the smutty art, and even stories, POURED in for 5 solid days more. There’s not been much of a need to call another smut week, because, well, we never actually dropped back down to any innocent level since. So, anyone who’s ever tried to avoid smut in fics in this fandom, it’s my fault. I’m sorry (sort of). ^^;
8. Art Fridays! For awhile in spring, going into early summer 2016, Art Fridays, organized amongst some of the artists in the fandom, became a thing to look forward to. There’d be a secret theme and on Fridays around 8pm or so, suddenly tons of new art would emerge. It was something I always looked forward to. Later the concept morphed into ‘Shenanigans’ and is held sometimes on days other than Friday.
9. Art Fridays eventually morphed into the Reylo Anthology, a collection
of artists who would still occasionally do art fridays stuff, but also
worked to focus more on big themed reylo art projects.
10. The Reylo Fanfic Anthology was a concept tossed around quite a bit during Spring 2016 before being taken up by a group of writers and is still going strong to this day. There’s one large project a year, dotted with side events often centered on holidays.
11. The Reylo Sin Anthology came to be! A fanfic anthology for all the smuttiest smut fics, written to various themes throughout the year- many of them very much on the risqué side which is how they liked it. (It later became the Reylo Book of Sins and still going strong.)
12. From Spring to Summer 2016, due to new revelations from cast and crew, the fandom contracted a bit, but ultimately became more concentrated and ‘regulars’ began to emerge. Summer was also about the time that ‘metas’ pretty much got exhausted (everything had pretty much been hashed out by then), so it got a little quiet…
13. In October the Reylo Short Story Collection was announced. Focusing on, obviously, short stories, the goal was to write within the word-count limits and then publish with each story having its own custom art. A new issue is published every four months.
14. In November, two of our own, @starwarsnonsense and @bastila-bae, began an analytical podcast, “Scavenger’s Hoard”, about the new films and also with the goal of being reylo-friendly in an increasingly aggressive fandom. They added women’s voices to the discussion and have since even won awards!
15. We lost Carrie in the winter of 2016, so that was pretty terrible. But just before that happened, we were abuzz knowing a title for 9 was coming, and also anxious for the latest new years’ fic exchange hosted by the fic anthology, something that a lot of us held onto as a positive distraction in the wake of tragedy.
16. Starting around the turn of the year, changes started to take place on the SW website, namely the Data Bank, and other places- talk of ‘intertwined destines’ and ‘fascination’ and ‘links’ with regards to Kylo and Rey…could it be? Did we finally have more reason to hope?
17. In January 2017, we got the title for 8!! “Space Bear” became “The Last Jedi”, and suddenly the meta writing was back in full swing!
18. In April 2017, we got the trailer for 8! And boy did we get our hope alright. Quickly we realized many of our ‘standards’ in fanfiction seemed to have fairly correct between the trailer and cast/production commentary at SWC: Luke the underwhelming teacher, Kylo suddenly maskless and with a much reduced scar than we ever anticipated…*cough* causing us to speculate even more strongly about his anti-hero role and desire to reach Rey. The new clues and speculation quickly began to filter into fic writing.
….and here we are today! Did I miss anything? This was sort of a greatest hits in the fandom. ^^; If I missed anything, let me know! It’s getting late and I’m a bit out of it, so forgive me if I have…gosh so much has happened!! We’ve done so much!! And I’m so proud to have been with all you guys, old and new, through it all. :,)
alright that’s it I don’t care anymore. i’m reccing (and rating) my own damn drarry fics. i don’t care. How to Apologise To Harry Potter in 10 Days 18k, Post Hogwarts, Auror!Potter, Draco’s POV, fluff, minor angst exactly as it sounds. 9 days of Draco being a coward and 1 day of him finally apologising…amongst other things. 10/10 total rip off of that Gwyneth Paltrow movie
I Hex You, You Hex me 4k, Eighth Year, Hogwarts, Harry’s POV, fluff, minor angst my first ever drarry story. just an excuse to experience that cringe inducing but addictive second hand embarrassment through Harry when his feelings become obvious. 8/10 at me using masturbation as a plot device
9 Times Harry Potter Rescued Draco Malfoy 1k, Eight Year Hogwarts, fluff me being lazy and basically just writing a screenplay and pretending I did it on purpose for the art. i’m not doing a summary for you – just read the title. 9/10 I hate writing descriptions
Hot Tea 13k, Post Hogwarts, Contrived “Date”, Harry’s POV, Malfoy snark alert, fluff, minor angst me thinking I’m clever because the title is a metaphor for Draco Malfoy. I’m not going to explain it to you. Harry sort of not really takes Draco on a date and Draco sort of very much enjoys it. this is my best drarry because of the snark factor. 17/10 would willingly drown in Malfoy snark
Dangerously Boiling Hot Explicit Tea 5k, Hot Tea sequel, Harry’s POV, just smut really, all the dirty talk a venture into smut that clearly demonstrates how much I enjoy talking about sex, but how little I like actually following through. still explicit though. 153/10 could jerk off to
The Softer Side of Draco Malfoy WIP, Eighth Year Hogwarts, Harry’s POV, mystery, fluff, minor angst Harry spills a potion on Draco. Draco starts acting weird. it’s a mystery. I can’t say anymore. sorry. what do you think a mystery is anyway? 14/10but only if we get to see the harder side of Draco Malfoy too
How to Kiss Draco Malfoy in 10 Days WIP, Sequel to How to Apologise, Harry’s POV, fluff everyone knows sequels are where the money is at, or in this case, the kudos. at least I hope. i’ll get back to you on that. Harry is pining for Draco…good thing he keeps turning up at the office. 12/10easier to write when you’re recycling a story
and that’s all my drarry. please come again. (not sexual)