Considering Aileen died at the age of 46, here are 46 facts about her & the life she lived.
1. Aileen was born in Rochester, Michigan, on February 29, 1956.
2. Her father, Leo Pittman, was incarcerated at the time of her birth. He hanged himself in prison in 1969.
3. She had a brother, Keith, who died in 1976 & left her $10,000 from his life insurance.
4. Diane Wuornos abandoned both of her children, Aileen & Keith, when they were just toddlers. She left them with their severely abusive grandparents, who soon adopted them.
5. Aileen was sexually abused by her grandfather from a very young age; Lauri Wuornos would force her to strip naked before beating her.
6. She did not discover that her grandparents were not her actual parents until the age of 12; the discovery made her distraught.
7. Before she was even a teenager, Aileen started to participate in sexual acts at school in return for food, drugs, and cigarettes.
8. She engaged in sexual activities with her brother during their childhood.
9. When Aileen was 14, she became pregnant as the result of rape by a friend of her grandfather’s.
10. Aileen gave birth to a baby boy at a home for unwed mothers in March of 1971 (the baby was immediately placed for adoption).
11. She dropped out of school shortly after childbirth.
12. Not long after Aileen dropped out of school, her grandmother died of liver failure, leaving her & Keith alone with their abusive grandfather.
13. At the age of 15, she was thrown out of the house by her grandfather, Lauri.
14. To support herself after being thrown out, Aileen became a prostitute.
15. For many years she lived in the woods near her old home, sheltering in makeshift forts.
16. Aileen was arrested for the first time in March 1974 for DUI, disorderly conduct, & firing a .22 caliber pistol from a moving vehicle in Colorado.
17. In the year of 1976, she hitchhiked down to Florida.
18. Aileen married 69-year-old Lewis Fell in 1976; their marriage was later annulled after she hit Fell with his own cane.
19. During & after the marriage with Fell, Aileen was arrested multiple times for assault due to altercations with locals at bars.
20. On June 2, 1986, she was detained & questioned after a male companion accused her of pulling a gun on him in his vehicle, demanding $200.
21. Before the murders, Aileen had been arrested a total of 7 times; she had also been detained twice for questioning, was once suspected of firearm theft, & had even received a restraining order from her own husband at the time, Lewis Fell.
22. She met her future partner, Tyria Moore, at a gay club in Daytona in June of 1986.
23. Eventually Aileen & Tyria moved in together, being financially supported by Aileen’s prostitution earnings.
24. On the fourth of July in 1987, Aileen & Tyria were detained for questioning about an incident that involved assault & battery with a beer bottle.
25. Aileen shot & killed 7 men in total.
26. The body of one of her victims, Peter Siems, was never found.
27. Aileen murdered all of her victims with a .22 caliber revolver.
28. On January 9, 1991, Aileen was arrested for the murders.
29. Tyria Moore drew a confession from Aileen during a phone call in exchange for immunity from prosecution.
30. Aileen was arrested on an outstanding warrant at the Last Resort bar in Port Orange, Florida on January 9, 1991.
40. For her crimes Aileen ultimately received 6 death sentences.
41. She was executed in the Florida State Prison on October 9, 2002 by lethal injection.
42. Aileen’s body was cremated; her ashes were given to a childhood friend named Dawn Botkins, who spread them beneath a tree in Michigan.
43. Aileen declined a traditional last meal (anything she desired under $20) and instead requested a cup of coffee.
44. Her last words were, “I’d just like to say I’m sailing with the rock, and I’ll be back Independence Day, with Jesus June 6. Like the movie, big mothership and all, I’ll be back.”
45. Aileen requested that the song “Carnival” by Natalie Merchant be played at her funeral.
46. Up until her execution, Aileen proclaimed her love for Tyria Moore.
With One Direction, we were doing five or six kilometres a night, running around the stage like lunatics. There’s none of that now. I’ll probably put on a bit of weight, standing still and playing guitar all the time!