On this day in music history: March 28, 1981 - “Rapture” by Blondie hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 2 weeks, also topping the Club Play chart for 4 weeks on February 28, 1981, and peaking at #33 on the R&B singles chart on March 14, 1981. Written by Deborah Harry and Chris Stein, it is the fourth and final chart topping single for the New York based New Wave/Rock band fronted by lead vocalist Debbie Harry. Harry and Stein are inspired to write the song after attending Hip Hop parties in the South Bronx. Making references to hip-hop pioneers Fab Five Freddy and Grandmaster Flash in its lyrics, the song quickly makes its mark. It becomes the first mainstream pop record to feature rapping to hit number one on the pop charts, introducing the underground art form to a wide mainstream audience. The single’s music video also features cameo appearances from Fab Five Freddy and graffiti and pop artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. Released as the second single from their fifth album “Autoamerican” in mid January of 1981, it follows its predecessor “The Tide Is High” to the top of the chart. Entering the Hot 100 at #61 on January 31, 1981 on the same date that “Tide” hits number one, it climbs to the top of the chart eight weeks later. The single is also released overseas with an extended 12" dance mix of the track clocking in at almost ten minutes, with US club DJ’s and radio being serviced with a promotional only 12" single with the six and a half minute long album track on one side, and an edited version on the flip side running four minutes and fifty seconds, that becomes a heavily sought after collector’s item. A third version clocking in at just over five and a half minutes is released on the compilation “The Best Of Blondie” in 1981, with the same intro as the 12" mix and an extra verse. “Rapture” also turns up on Grandmaster Flash’s landmark single “The Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel” later in 1981, featuring the iconic DJ cutting and scratching the Blondie record. “Rapture” is certified Gold in the US by the RIAA.
On this day in music history: March 28, 1973 - “Houses Of The Holy”, the fifth album by Led Zeppelin is released. Produced by Jimmy Page, it is recorded at Stargroves and Headley Grange w/ The Rolling Stones Mobile Studio, Island Studios in London and Electric Lady Studios in New York City from January - August 1972. Released as the follow up to “Led Zeppelin IV (aka ZoSo)”, it is the bands most stylistically diverse album to date, shifting from its mainly blues musical base and exploring other music that has influenced them. It is the first Zeppelin album to feature material written entirely by the band, with the production becoming more multi-layered and complex. When it comes time to choose what songs will make the final running order, band ironically decides that the title track does not fit in well with the rest of the album, and is included on the follow up release “Physical Graffiti” in March of 1975. The albums cover artwork is designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, featuring a collage of several photos taken at Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland over a ten day period. The children featured on the cover are brother and sister Stefan and Samantha Gates. The photos are originally shot in black and white and are color tinted after they have been processed. The process to create the cover is an arduous one, but in the end receives a Grammy nomination for Best Album Package. “Holy” is another major success for the band, spinning off two singles including “D'yer Mak'er” (#20 Pop) and “Over The Hills And Far Away” (#51 Pop). In October of 2014, the album is remastered and reissued on vinyl, CD, and high definition digital downloads, with additional bonus tracks featured on the deluxe editions. The reissues also include a Super Deluxe boxed edition that features all of the audio configurations, a numbered lithograph of the album cover artwork, and a hardbound book featuring many previously unpublished photos and memorabilia associated with the original release. “Houses Of The Holy” spends two weeks at number one on the Billboard Top 200, and is certified 11x Platinum in the US by the RIAA, earning a Diamond Certification.
Ok, being without Izzy for five months was difficult and I have survived so far, I am on the third month and to be honest sometimes I think it’s kinda of good for us, lately we fought a lot without important reasons, all we needed was this tour so I’d notice that I missed him and having Izzy away from me is horrible.
Watching old movies alone at the night is one with my routines without Izzy and it’s what I’m doing right now; chocolate, old movies and pajama, this is me. Until I hear the door opening, ok that is strange. So I get up and go to the door and I almost jump in fright when I see Izzy.
– Oh fuck! Izzy what the hell are you doing here? – I ask, still scared.
– Oh hello for you too. – he smiles at me and I hug him with pleasure.
– I’ve missed you, I am so…
– (y/n) you need to let me talk now… I need to talk and tell you some things. – he says with a weak voice.
He takes me to the couch and I sit but Izzy still stands and looks really nervous.
– Izzy… what happened? – he nervous makes me nervous too.
– Lately I’ve been a stupid guy and we are not the best couple ever… At the tour I was thinking about you and I and I was thinking about this a lot! – so I start shake… he will break up with me. And I am not ready for this. – And you and an amazing woman I love you since… To be honest I don’t know because since I know you I am in love with you but…
– Izzy just say, what are you want to tell me? – my voice sounds weak and a little horse. He sighs deeply.
– I can’t imagine my life without you. – Wait… What he said right now? – you are my everything, without you this whole shit wouldn’t exist.
– Wh-What are you talking about? – Great! Now I am stammering.
– Without you I would be empty, my life would be empty, God knows that without you Sweet Child O Mine wouldn’t exist. You are my rock n roll. – Wow! he kneels down in front of me and hold my hand. – on that bus while I was miles away from you, I tried to imagine my fucking life without you cause I know you deserves more…
– Izzy don’t…
– Please (y/n), babe, let me finish… – so I shut my mouth. – I can live my life without you but the point is I don’t want to live my life without you because…. I don’t know… I can’t explain the way you make me feel. – he puts his hands on his pocket. – I’m not the guy who demonstrates the feelings and you know that. – he shows me a little box and I can’t even breath. – We can fight, we can be the worst couple ever and we know that we are not perfect but I don’t wanna be perfect like Erin and Axl or another couple, sometimes be imperfect is better. – so he opens the box and I see a beautiful ring, so simple and small…. just beautiful. My heart stops and my I don’t know what to say right now…
– I thought you were breaking up with me… – I can whisper, Izzy smiles at me. I LOVE HIS SMILE. OMG HOW I LOVE!
– I would never do that… (y/n) I am begging you please marry me I don’t wanna be another idiot kneeling. – so I smile cause is funny and everything looks fine in the world.
– You are a rock star Izzy Stradlin and one day you will get tired of me…
– You are and idiot.
– he whispers.
– Oh… that’s not how you talk with your fiancee. – and he smiles again, I already said how I love his smile but I can say this a hundred more.
– We are getting married! – he hugs me tightly and starts to laugh.
– Are you sure about this?
Then he runs out of the house and starts screaming in the middle of the street.
– I WILL MARRIED WITH THE FUCKING LOVE OF MY FUCKING LIFE! – he is smiling and is happy.
I think that doesn’t even matter for how long this happiness will last because now, right now, Izzy Stradlin the most reclusive guitarist in the world of the rock is screaming in the middle of the street how much he is happy. He looks at me and smiles, God did I already say how I love his smile? He should smile more but this isn’t a problem, I’ll still have plenty of time to see him smiling more often