The organizers of the Women’s March are planning a general strike — A Day Without A Woman — on March 8, which is International Women’s Day. They made the announcement on Twitter and Instagram yesterday, hashtagging it #DayWithoutAWoman and #WomensMarch. Here’s what’s involved.
Because they’ve advanced the success and growth of those fields for just as long as men, even when they weren’t afforded the opportunity, the recognition, or the grants. Onward:
Rosalind Franklin (July 25, 1920—April 16, 1958)
Rosalind Franklin was a chemist and, get this, X-ray crystallographer. As far as titles go, you can’t do much better than crystallographer. Her work in understanding the molecular structure of DNA laid the foundation for the discovery of the double helix. She also made significant contributions to understanding the structures of RNAs. And viruses. And coal. And graphite. Her work was not fully appreciated until after she passed away. Two teams of all-male scientists who used her work to discover great things later went on to win Nobel Prizes.
Rebecca Lee Crumpler (February 8, 1831—March 9, 1895)
Rebecca Lee Crumpler spent most of her professional life being the first at things. She was the very first Black woman to become a physician in the United States. The first (and only) Black woman to graduate from New England Female Medical College. She authored Book of Medical Discourses, one of the very first medical books written by a Black person. Every obstacle she powered through was done in an effort to provide care for other people. Hero.
Mary Anning (May 21, 1799—March 9, 1847)
Mary Anning discovered the first full Ichthyosaur skeleton at 11, the very first Plesiosaur at 22, and then opened up her own fossil store front a few years later. We repeat: She opened up her own fossil store. We could go on and on, but Rejected Princesses (@rejectedprincesses) already did it best in this biographical comic. While you’re over there, check out their whole archive and the dozens and dozens of women’s life stories within.
Follow these too:
She Thought It: Crossing Bodies in Sciences and Arts (@shethoughtit) is a database dedicated to shedding light on women making strides in both science and the arts. A whole bunch of great things.
Lady Scientists of Tumblr (@scientific-women) promises everything you could ever want from a feminist science round-up blog: intersectionality and equal representation of all scientists who identify as female. Hell yeah.
Math Brain (@ihaveamathbrain) backs the novel idea that women are indeed capable of understanding math. Shocking. With the perfect amount of sarcasm, they tackle the idea some bozos have that women just don’t have the mind for mathematics.
Happy international women’s day to autistic women, transgender women, lesbian women, asexual women, bisexual women, pansexual women, women with mental illness, disabled women, and just all women!! You are all gorgeous 💚💚
BREAKING NEWS! A Squid Research Lab special report:
Nintendo Switch owners will soon be able to participate in a special Splatoon 2 preview. A special demo version of Splatoon 2 will be available for download on Nintendo Switch and will allow players to battle against opponents around the world in the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire event. It’s a way for everyone to investigate the latest in cephalopod warfare months before the game launches!
The Splatoon 2 Global Testfire will give Nintendo Switch owners six chances to play with other owners worldwide during the three-day event. The timing of the event is as follows:
Who’s playing those 4 a.m. Pacific Time time slots, anyway? They’re preferable to players overseas, or perhaps North American early birds (or night owls?)
All indications are that the content for the Global Testfire will allow players to test four different main weapons, including the new Splat Dualies, as well as remixed versions of the iconic Splat Roller and Splat Charger. Extraordinary!
We look forward to sharing additional findings soon, such as when the demo will be available for download in Nintendo eShop.
During the Marvel Hall H presentation at Comic-Con, Kevin Feige announced that the studio’s first female standalone would be taking place in the ‘90s with a two-eyed Nick Fury, played by Samuel L. Jackson, joining the action.
Captain Marvel will star Brie Larson and is set to be directed by duo Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (Mississippi Grind).
Feige also announced the film’s villains: The Skrulls.
The Skrulls are an early invention in Marvel’s comic book universe, debuting in 1961’s Fantastic Four No. 2. A race of shape-changing aliens, the comic book mythology has them perpetually at war with the Kree, another race of aliens who happen to create the technology that gave Carol Danvers super powers in the first place.
Captain Marvel has a release date of March 8, 2019.
Top 10 Tricks to Making Shitty, Hack Pop Songs that Fucking Everyone Will Love
10. Have a talented producer create a decent instrumental– and completely ignore the tone of the instrumental during the lyric writing process.
9. Hire way too many songwriters to write lyrics that an eighth grade honors student could write!
8. March to the beat of EVERYONE’S drum– The words in your music should feel specific, but in reality, will be very broadly applicable. Be sure to omit any lines that have too much of your identity in them!
7. Hire a personal trainer, and a stylist! Less people will care about you if you’re some kind of fuckin sack o’ shit uggo!!
6. (OPTIONAL) If you’re performing, or at a red carpet event: dress like a fucking alien.
5. Start a public feud with other hack artists– this encourages people to root for you, and gets people talking (this benefits you and your fellow hack artists)!
4. You LOVE the gays– publicly (it’s okay if you privately don’t, but you really want their support– they’re a vocal community)!
3. Drink the blood of a virgin– it will imbue you with an overwhelming aura of innocence that will make the easily influenced feel protective of you and your shitty, shitty music.
2. Occasionally shatter this innocent image with provocative lyrics, or just good old fashioned nudity! This will make people feel like either (A.) you’re blossoming into an independent adult, or (B.) they want to have the sex.
1. Have FUN! You’re a sociopath! Enjoy taking advantage of millions and millions of people who are less fortunate than you :)
DISCLAIMER: This is satirical; I pretty obviously don’t ACTUALLY endorse any of the things mentioned above. I wrote this because I was frustrated with the current titans in the music industry, and the current state of the music industry itself. This was my method of voicing said frustration.
I also understand that my points probably weren’t groundbreaking in anyway, but what are you gonna do?