Why Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is my favorite media of All Time without spoiling anything
1. The plot moves a million miles per hour and has like, a minimum of two plot twists an episode. It’s super serialized and feels like a novel.
2. Answers that most series would drag out until the end are answered super quickly to keep the story moving.
3. The protagonists’ plight is really sad/interesting and you actually feel invested in their story and how it ends right from the first episode.
4. The protagonists have lots of agency and drive the story forwards, and there are multiple protagonists with their own plotlines.
5. Multiple interesting antagonists with intriguing worldviews.
6. The antagonists are super intimidating, not just to the characters but to the audience. Every scene one of them is in is extremely tense.
7. Unique setting that isn’t exactly fantasy and isn’t sci-fi.
8. The world’s “magic” has all of it’s rules explained so characters can’t manifest abilities you’ve never seen before without it being logical or foreshadowed.
9. Lots of tragic backstories, but the story has a light tone, and doesn’t try to be dark for no reason.
10. Never afraid to kill off characters, no matter how important, but gives lots of importance to every death that does happen so none of them feel “cheap”.
12. Romantic plotlines that don’t feel forced or boring. No love triangle nonsense to be seen.
13. Side characters that are actually given importance to the overall plot and are given their own characterizations and motivations.
14. Multiple badass female characters.
15. Midwifery being presented as awesome.
16. Gender norms being subverted left and right. Giant, muscly men full of emotions and tears. Women with majestic, long hair that have killed before and will kill again.
17. Deals with race, genocide and the aftermath of war, showing both sides of the conflict.
18. Doesn’t take itself too seriously. Contains the most masterful humorous to emotional tone shifts I have ever seen. They feel seamless.
19. Well choreographed combat scenes with innovative tactics abound.
20. This is subjective, but there are many, many scenes that are sad, or thought provoking, or spine-chilling. It’s a series that constantly shocks and amazes, even on rewatches.
21. AMAZING ending. You’ve heard of 2 episode climaxes. You’ve heard of 4 episode climaxes (hello, Avatar the Last Airbender). Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has a 15 EPISODE CLIMAX. That’s 5 straight hours of finale that literally NEVER GETS BORING.
22. Incredible philosophy.