There is a rather flowery park about 50m from my house that I only recently discovered. I am unsure how I missed it all this time, but I am rather happy I did find it. These pink flowers are my favourites thus far. I hope I can get a great shot of water lilies in the near future. No succes as of yet, but I’ll keep trying.
Congresswoman Edith Nourse Rogers of Massachusetts proposed a bill in May 1941 with the support of Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall to establish the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corp (WAAC). The bill was passed a year later and the first enlisted auxiliaries arrived for training at Fort Des Moines in July 1942. In July 1943, the Reserves was incorporated into the Regular Army and reestablished as the Women’s Army Corp (WAC). During WWII, about 150,000 women served in the WAAC and WAC.
During the war, Eleanor Roosevelt continued the ceaseless
activism that had long marked her as America’s most public First Lady. Mrs. Roosevelt was
outspoken in her support for gender equality. She championed women’s entrance into the armed services.
DM: We have a lovely portable ram available should anyone want it?
Ex-Soldier: Like? Like a tiny sheep?
DM laughing his ass off: No you pleb, a battering ram
Cut to the entire party laughing and wheezing for several minutes.
A party which contains a ranger wearing a plague doctor costume, and refusing to buy a quiver cause she already bought a large chest and decided she will store the arrows in there amongst her 100 packs of rations and 50m of silk rope, very much against the advice of the rest of the party and the DM.
Antikythera shipwreck yields new treasures – and hints of priceless classical statues
Marine archaeologists have recovered a bronze arm from an ancient shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera, where the remains of at least seven more priceless statues from the classical world are believed to lie buried.
Divers found the right arm, encrusted and stained green, under half a metre of sediment on the boulder-strewn slope where the ship and its cargo now rest. The huge vessel, perhaps 50m from bow to stern, was sailing from Asia Minor to Rome in 1BC when it foundered near the tiny island between Crete and the Peloponnese.
The project team, from the Greek Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts, discovered the buried arm with a bespoke underwater metal detector which has revealed the presence of other large metal objects nearby under the seabed. Read more.
Commission from today’s stream for @fattoler (50 minutes) Unfortunately, literally as I was adding the last touch (a sound effect over the ray beam), Clip Studio crashed (the second time it’s ever crashed on me, for reasons I cannot comprehend).
Thankfully, @sciver was able to take a last moment screen-capture of the image. I’ll be redrawing the picture later for the commissioner using this as a base.
As the baby-faced schoolboys nervously shuffled around the X Factor stage, warbling slightly off-key, few could have predicted they would go on to become global superstars.
But seven years on, and all still aged 25 or under, the five members of One Direction are each worth at least £50 million.
A year after announcing their ‘semi-retirement’, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan and Zayn Malik have sold 10 shares in their company, 1D Media, for £70,131,909 – the equivalent of £14,026,381 each – according to records filed with Companies House.
None of the group ever needs to work again as they are also still rolling in royalties from two of their other companies, Rollcall Touring and PPM.
In addition, each member has gone on to sign lucrative solo record deals, taking their individual worth to £50 million or more each.
Two of the singers – Styles, 23, and Tomlinson, 25 - are also pursuing successful extracurricular ventures in film and television respectively.
Last night a source who worked closely with One Direction said: ‘Almost from the off the boys were extremely canny when it came to matters of the purse.
‘They received sound financial advice straight away, and none of them have been reckless with their earnings.
‘The plan was always to get to this situation, and have the freedom to pursue what they really wanted. In ten years’ time, they could easily be worth £100 million each. It really is quite incredible.’
Undoubtedly the most successful of all the X Factor roster, One Direction were put together on Simon Cowell’s ITV show in 2010.
Although the quintet only came third in the competition – losing out to that year’s winner, Matt Cardle – over 17 million viewers watched the final and the band were immediately signed by Cowell’s Syco label.
One Directions established themselves as teen favourites. Obsessed fans began self-harming when Malik, 24, quit in March 2015, and helplines were set-up when the group declared they were taking a hiatus last January.
They have won six Brit awards and sold over 20 million records worldwide.
They also managed to conquer the notorious tough US market, becoming pin-ups on both sides of the Atlantic.
In 2015 it was revealed the group had earned £105 million over the course of the year, making them the wealthiest boyband in British history, and last year all five members made the Sunday Times under-30 rich list.
The singers have enjoyed the trappings of fame, including numerous five-star holidays, designer wardrobes and, between them, a fleet of luxury supercars.
But they have also invested their money wisely, with properties both here and in America and, in the case of Styles, artwork worth millions.
Last night their representatives declined to comment.
In just a few hours, Demi Lovato will perform the national anthem to over 50M viewers of one of the most anticipated sports events in recent history. The fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor will take place 6 p.m. PST at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Demi was handpicked by event organizers because of her love of UFC and her MMA training at Unbreakable Performance Center.
#GoodLuckDemi is trending on Twitter. Let’s show her so much support because this is an opportunity of a lifetime.
1. Consider a perfect sphere, of uniform density d and radius r, which has just been discovered in the deepest vault of a newly-found pyramid in Egypt. If it is exposed to a metaphysical potential V(x) of the type described in the Voynich Manuscript, derive the width of the ghastly chasm that is about to yawn open beneath the vault, and give the most likely half-life of the sanity of any observers.
2. What physical processes lead to the formation of lightning? Assume a day-old corpse is placed in a standard reanimation chamber. Using Cornelius’s animatory decay equation, estimate the size of thunderstorm that will be needed for a 50 percent chance of full revival.
3. Describe the chain of fusion reactions that provide the Sun’s primary energy source. When the planets align, calling the Old Ones from the void, that other set of reactions that Science dare not name will start up in the Sun’s heart. Estimate, from basic physical and mystical principles, the time that an observer located on the Earth would need to observe a change in the Sun’s output from the starting of the Other Reactions, and show that this far exceeds the time required for humanity to succumb to the ghastly malignities of the Old Ones.
4. If an ancient flooded city is submerged in a water-filled well of 50m diameter and 100m depth, show that water pressure will be sufficient to seal shut that city’s haunted temples, given that they demonstrate a typical level of cacodemonaical activity. Assume a team of investigators, heedless of the awful phantasms lurking below, descend to the city in a spherical submarine of radius 3m. If energy transport within the well is primarily by convection, how long after their intervention will it take for the surface of the well to be contaminated by the soul-annihilating stench of evil?
5. Consider a vast, crawling horror beyond the capacity of the healthy human mind to imagine. Is approximating the horror by a uniform cylinder of length x and length r a valid strategy for preserving the desperate shreds of your rational mind for long enough to scrawl a warning message in the tunnel to this accursed place? Assume moderate light levels and approximately one litre of blood for ink.