Hurricane Harvey: What’s Happening & How You Can Help
Resources for those affected and those looking to give.
View this post on our blog to see the embedded tweets.
On behalf of the DoSomething.org staff and our 5.5 million members, we are thinking of everyone affected by Hurricane Harvey and hoping you are safe.
Rescue operations in full swing in Houston as people flee flooding from Tropical Storm Harvey. pic.twitter.com/znCJAJCFQL
— Robert Gauthier (@rgaut999)August 27, 2017
— Sara Donchey (@KPRC2Sara)August 27, 2017
Here is the latest: At least five people are dead, with many more injured and up to 450,000 seeking federal aid, as a result of the hurricane which pummeled southeast Texas over the weekend. With massive damage and dangerous flooding, the people of Houston and surrounding areas need all hands on deck. Here’s how you can find help and how you can help others.
How to Get Help if You’re Affected by the Storm
If you’re in areas hit by the storm, call the US Coast Guard.
— U.S. Coast Guard (@uscoastguard)August 27, 2017
You can also visit the City of Houston Emergency site for, among others:
- A list of shelters and evacuation points
- American Red Cross shelters and resources
- Instructions on displaced people and pets
How to Help Those Affected
The orgs below are providing crucial support to those affected. If you have money to give, check out these tips from ProPublica before donating. If you aren’t able to donate, use social media to tell others about these resources.
- All Hands: A not-for-profit working to activate a network of volunteers to provide assistance on the ground.
- Greater Houston Community Fund: A relief fund established by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner.
- Houston Humane Society: The group, along with Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Texas and the San Antonio Humane Society are providing shelter and care for pets in the area.
- Texas Diaper Bank: The local org is creating disaster relief kits for families with young children.
- Circle of Health: Assisting mothers and children affected by Harvey.
DoSomething.org is the largest tech company exclusively for young people and social change. We’re activating 5.5 million young people (in every US area code and in 131 countries!) to make positive change both online and off.