I’m now entering my third semester of my second year college, and I think I’ve gathered enough experience in college to give relevant tips to incoming freshmen or just regular old college students. I’m not an expert in getting all As, not getting those 4.0s in every subject, but I have maintained my place as a Dean’s Lister since my first sem freshmen year, so I think I do have an idea on what I’m talking about. Feel free to take my advice! (or not).
1. seriously, once you get information on your homework/project, start them immediately. DO NOT wait till last minute to complete them because you will regret it. Do them as soon as the professor assigns it to you so you won’t spend the next few weeks stressing out on the amount of homework you have.
2. start creative projects first. unless you can pull creativity out of your hat whenever you need it, I highly suggest you start creative projects as soon as you get them because trust me when I say you do not want to be decorating/designing shit when the due date is tomorrow.
3. do your best in every assignment; trust me, the points will count at the end of the semester.
4. do extra credit work and treat it as priority work; excess points are cushion points.
5. group projects suck but here’s a good rule to keep in mind: if you’re the leader, delegate those tasks (read up on division of labor). if you’re a group member, do the delegated task as best as you can. know your goal as a group; are you guys in it to get to know each other and build rapport? then the output won’t matter as much and focus on helping and getting to know each other. Is the output the most important part? Then be real with each other; if you can’t do this task, then don’t do it & instead give it to someone else. Some may not even get any work at all, because what matters is the output.
1. keep your circle small. your friends are there to guide you, support you and tell you when you’re wrong. find the crowd you vibe with the most because trust me, the right friends are medicine to all college problems
2. those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind. keep that in mind, my dear.
3. love the professor? do your best in their class. hate the professor? do your best in their class. it doesn’t matter whether you hate the prof or not; they still hold your grade at the end of the semester. if you really can’t stand them, just think of it as training your ability to be humble (and not punch someone).
4. talk to your professors. they’re not as bad as you think they are.
5. seriously, go to their consultation hours when you think you’re failing.
1. TAKE NOTES. cannot emphasize this enough. don’t rely on anyone to take your notes for you; it’s your education, it’s time you take responsibility for it.
2. sit in front of class if you believe you’ll get distracted if you sit in the back.
3. talk to your seatmate! you’ll need them when you get sick and can’t come to class.
4. again, TAKE NOTES. don’t photograph the slide. write that shit down, or type it if you don’t want to write. bottom line, don’t picture it.
5. revise, revise, revise. if you want to understand the material, a good way to go about it is to revise your notes in a way YOU can understand.
1. have fun! i was too stressed when I was a freshman all because I focused too much on getting 4.0s. It’s possible to get 4.0s and still have fun! having fun doesn’t need to be about drinking (although if it is, then stay safe doing it!) it could be reading a book or hanging out with your friends, whatever works for you and keeps your mind off school for awhile.
2. it’s okay to have crushes! they could be your inspiration (but don’t let them be your distraction)
3. talk to that cute guy you’ve been classmates with ever since February who you can’t stop looking at. you’ve got nothing to lose.
4. relationships are a good source of support, love and care but pls don’t forget your friends.
5. learn how to have fun, and college will be easier.
Reminder: having fun does not equal to slacking off.
I guess that’s it! If you guys want more tips/advice/academic or college realted, I can write more or you can just hit up my ask!