31bf

Lady Gaga Reportedly in Talks to Perform at Super Bowl 51 Halftime Show

Lady Gaga is reportedly in talks to play the Super Bowl 51 halftime show in Houston in February 2017. According to Billboard, the singer could clinch the biggest stage of the year because the NFL was impressed by her performance of The Star-Spangled Banner at the 2016 Super Bowl.

The last year has definitely been a big one for Gaga, who won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song, “‘Til It Happens to You." She is currently gearing up for the release of her forthcoming album and already dropped the project’s first single, "Perfect Illusion,” which was produced by Mark Ronson, BloodPop, and Tame Impala’s Kevin Parker. 

“We have had conversations with several fantastic artists about the Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show,” an NFL rep told Billboard in a statement when asked about Gaga. “However, at this point we do not have a final decision. We’re happy there is so much excitement about the show.”

Previously, Adele said she passed on the NFL’s offer to perform at the Super Bowl 51 halftime show. "They were very kind, they did ask me, but I said no,“ she told the audience at her concert in August. However, the NFL and show sponsor Pepsi said there had been no formal offer. "The NFL and Pepsi are big fans of Adele. We have had conversations with several artists about the Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show. However, we have not at this point extended a formal offer to Adele or anyone else,” they said in a joint statement. “We are focused on putting together a fantastic show for Houston and we look forward to revealing that in good time.”

Kanye West fans have already tried to convince the NFL to let the rapper perform at the halftime show with the hashtag campaign #KanyeWestForSuperBowl51, which would undoubtedly be an incredible choice considering 'Ye’s penchant for entertaining and putting on epic shows like his current Saint Pablo Tour

​Of course, the NFL has operated on a pretty clear-cut pattern of picking non-controversial Super Bowl performers since the infamous Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake incident of 2004 and it’s likely their next pick will stand by that method. If the NFL is still searching options, they can always look into the 10 artists Complex would love to see play the Super Bowl right here.

Related links:

More from Complex

'I should be a newscaster — I called it before the news': Trump mocks critics of New York 'bomb' declaration

(Donald Trump at a rally in Colorado Springs, Colorado.REUTERS/Mike Segar)
Donald Trump on Monday shot back at critics of his declaration that the explosion in New York City on Saturday night was a bombing before officials had publicly disclosed the nature of the event.

In an interview with “Fox and Friends” on Monday, the Republican presidential nominee mocked critics who said he should have waited to label the explosion a bombing until after officials made a determination.

“I heard I was criticized for calling it correctly, but I was actually correct,” Trump said. “I should be a newscaster because I called it before the news.”

Trump described the explosion, which injured 29 people in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood, as a bombing to a crowd at a rally on Saturday in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

“I must tell you that just before I got off the plane, a bomb went off in New York,” Trump said. “And nobody knows exactly what’s going on.”

He added: “We better get very tough, folks. We better get very, very tough.”

Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee, also labeled the explosion a bombing later Saturday night, but she urged caution in labeling events before authorities confirmed the cause.

Asked about Trump’s comments while speaking with reporters after the explosion on Saturday, Clinton said “it’s important to know the facts about any incident like this.”

“I think it’s always wiser to wait until you have information before making conclusions,” Clinton said.

At multiple points during the campaign, Trump has lauded his ability to anticipate terrorist attacks. Following the nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, earlier this year that left dozens dead, Trump touted his plan to bar Muslims from entering the US, saying he predicted future attacks.

“What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning,” Trump wrote on Twitter at the time. “Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough.”

NOW WATCH: Watch Donald Trump attempt to explain why he thinks Hillary Clinton is a bigot



More From Business Insider
Norman: Waiting on a Big Drawdown in Equities

James Norman, president at QS Investors, and Chicago Booth School Professor Luigi Zingales discuss market desperation driven by a lack of volatility and the prospect of an extended draw down in equities. … Read more

Fort McMurray resident frustrated by steep rebuild fees

Janene Whenham says the steep fees involved with rebuilding her home after it was destroyed by the Fort McMurray wildfire are like a “slap in the face.”

She returned to the northern Alberta city on June 3 to sift through what little remained of her family home.

Heartened by the outpouring of support and promise of assistance from the municipality, she was determined to rebuild.

But her optimism soon gave way to frustration, as the cost of permits and licences piled up.

In the end, she expects to pay more than $20,000 in direct and indirect municipal fees to rebuild on the same property.

“If the demolition permit and the tipping fees would have been waived from the beginning, at least the members of this community might have thought maybe they have their backs,” Whenham said during an interview with CBC Edmonton’s Radio Active. 

“But right off the bat, you’re making money off me losing everything. I shouldn’t have to pay to dump that waste.

"It’s disgusting.”

Whenham is not alone in her frustration. A growing number of complaints has prompted the municipality to re-evaluate its fee structure during the rebuild. A motion to re-evaluate the fee structure will be up for debate at Tuesday evening’s municipal council meeting.

“Through a variety of informal and formal interactions with Wood Buffalo residents, the Wood Buffalo Recovery Committee and councillors from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo understand that fees related to the cleanup and rebuild have been a concern,” RMWB press secretary Russell Baker said in an emailed statement. 

“Given the nature of this situation, it is too early to say whether the municipality will be waiving fees for residents who lost their home to fire and are trying to rebuild.”

‘The second slap in the face’

After confirming her worst fear — that her home in Saprae Creek had been lost in the fire — Whenham applied for a demolition permit.

After three weeks of waiting, frantic phone calls and a letter of complaint to the mayor and city council, her demolition permit was finally approved at a cost of $200.

“This wasn’t a surprise, we didn’t go on vacation and come back to nothing. The city knew there was nothing … so I figured they should have had this figured out,” Whenham said. 

“We could have had this demolition permit waived. My home was already demolished.”

Whenham scraped the six inches of ash that had filled the burned out hull of her basement, and hauled the charred remains of her property to the dump.

The cost of tipping fees? $3,800.

Though the municipality waived tipping fees at the landfill for residential vehicles after the wildfires, Whenham was charged the commercial rate, because she arrived in her work truck.

Her personal vehicle had burned along with her home.

“That was the second slap in the face,” she said.

“I’m not opposed to getting permits. I think we need to follow the rules and the bylaws to make sure everything is done to code and safely. But why do I need to pay that?”

'A frustrating process’

The property then had to pass a final inspection, at an additional cost of $100.

The property passed inspection. But as soon as the papers were handed over, the workers began tearing down the safety fence that had been installed by the municipality in the days following the city-wide evacuation.  

“They did the final inspection and took the fence away, and said, 'Oh, by the way, you need a fence,' " Whenham said.

"I said, leave the fence. And they said,’ No, no, now it’s your responsibility to buy one.’ They’re about $14,000. As soon as you get your final inspection, the city was no longer responsible for the fence.”

Whenham said the rules and bylaws existed before the wildfire, but she’s frustrated and feels like the municipality is asking for money “every time you turned around.”

The municipality has since issued a bulletin, saying that any property owners who fail to install safety fences by Oct. 31 will have one installed for them, and the costs will be applied to their taxes.

“I’ve told them I’m not paying for a fence,” Whenham said. “They can go ahead and fine me if they want.”

Here are some of the permit costs associated with Whenham’s rebuild: 

- Demolition permit: $200

- Tipping fees: $3,800

- Final utilities inspection: $100

- Building permit: $5,000

- Development permit: $75

- Utility Connect permit: $100

- Water meter connect permit: $260

- Electrical permit: $230

After the property was cleaned and passed inspection, Whenham was issued an unsightly premises notice by the municipality, demanding that she “remedy dangers and unsightly property.”

“We got our demolition permit on Friday, had our property cleaned right away,” Whenham said. 

“A couple weeks later, I get a letter from the city that our property was unsightly, unsafe and it was a mess, and if it wasn’t cleaned up they were doing it for us and they were going to charge us for it.”

'I’ve lost everything’

The demolition order letters were sent to all owners of properties destroyed by the wildfire as part of the municipality’s effort to quicken the rebuilding process. But Whenham said it was just another affront to evacuees struggling to rebuild.

Though she has insurance, any permit costs she incurs will cut into the insurance payout she’s been provided for rebuilding her home. She estimates these costs are around $20,000 per homeowner. 

“The municipality has costs associated with this too. I get that. But just for the houses that are burned, [the municipality’s] revenues are $24 million, money they hadn’t accounted for in the previous budget,” Whenham said.

“Why should I sacrifice something out of a house that I didn’t want to build? I’ve lost everything, and some of it I’ll never get back.”

Auckland Food Truck Has Epic Melted Cheese Fries

If you’re ever in Auckland, New Zealand, you should head down to the night food markets, full of wonderful food trucks and dining experiences. This video was filmed at Melt, a food truck that serves a traditional Swiss dish called raclette, which involves the heating of a block of hard cheese under a grill, and scraping the melted part onto the dish, which in this case is fries. Credit: YouTube/Sorak01