how to care until it hurts. (a nine step program)
1. find comfort in their words and home in their soul.
2. know your limitations and stride past them. reach out and discover what it is you so desperately crave.
3. allow them to reach into your stomach and hang cocoons of brilliantly colored butterflies from your ribs.
4. build your personal style around the scars that decorate your neck and drape across your shoulder blades. they’ll want to see them.
5. be reckless with your heart and careful with theirs. they will never know how much of yourself you have thrown into caring for them.
6. be more honest with them than you have ever been with yourself and try not to think too hard about why these words suddenly slip from your throat as if you ever wanted them to.
7. never tell them how much you care. never tell them the way your heart beats faster when they call you this or tell you that. never let them see how their every action seals your heart in a hard wax shell of love.
8. be in love.
9. never say love.
— r.g. | how to care until it hurts