- Lady Liberty is a black woman.
- The U.S. Mint and Treasury is celebrating its 225th anniversary and unveiled on a new $100 coin on Thursday.
- It’s the first time in United States history that Lady Liberty has not been portrayed as a white woman.
- The new coin is set to be unveiled in April and is the first in a series of new, racially diverse commemorative coins to be released by the U.S. Treasury.
- Future designs will represent Lady Liberty as Hispanic-American, Asian-American, and Indian-American “to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States,” the Mint wrote. Read more