Irish Coffee Cupcakes
Yield: 15 cupcakes
If you don’t have two muffin tins, bake these cupcakes in batches.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons instant-espresso powder
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- Instant-espresso powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the cupcakes: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour water over espresso powder; let cool.
- Combine espresso with milk.
- Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with espresso-milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour (batter may look broken).
- Fill 15 cups (of two 12-cup muffin tins) three-quarters full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes.
- Let cool; turn out cupcakes from tins.
- Make the frosting: Whisk together cream and confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks form.
- Add whiskey; whisk until slightly stiff peaks form.
- Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting; dust with espresso powder.