To give a little backstory for this post, I started watching Supernatural about eight months back on the recommendation of a friend. I was instantly hooked and haven’t looked back. I have consumed all 218 episodes of the show since then. It will be an understatement to say that I am a fan. I am freaking crazy about the series, and everything in it. But Sam Winchester is my absolute and ultimate favourite. In the following lines, I will try to explain why. I’m sure the ‘Reasons why I love Sam Winchester’ trope has been explored countless times already by different people. I just wanted to add my own personal reasons to theirs:
1. He is everyman. Sam is not above making mistakes, sometimes huge ones. He can be selfish, gullible, frustrating and hurtful, but his heart is always in the right place. He is you and me, screwing up time and again, yet trying to do the right thing. And I’ll take a good man over a good hero any day.
2. His Faith is a thing of beauty. Sam believes in his brother, in God and angels, in humanity, in the inherent goodness of things with an almost childlike intensity. It doesn’t matter if he is often let down by the things he believes in. I find this unshakable faith to be highly inspiring in my times of despair.
3. He is the very opposite of weak. Who else on the show has demonstrated more psychological strength than the man who fought off and seized control from the Devil himself within his own mind? Who else endured nearly two centuries of unimaginable tortures in the Cage and still lived to fight the good fight? Sam Winchester has been put through the toughest sh*t for ten years on the show. He may complain sometimes but he has never said ‘I’m done’ in the spirit of giving up.
4. He chose action over destiny. Sam is ‘Free Will’ personified. He teaches you that you should be and do whatever you want, fate and predetermination be damned.
5. He is the awesomest little brother in the history of little brothers. Sam loves Dean, so much that he considers letting Dean down to be his biggest sin. The Winchesters’ codependence is legendary. So the prospect of losing his brother often drives Sam to some extreme measures. I mean, unleashing a primordial Darkness upon the world to remove Dean’s deadly tattoo? Come on Sammy. Then again, you can’t not respect that level of loyalty and devotion. Plus I love both the boys and can’t say mad at Sam for long.
6. He saves the day with his big brain. A man who’s simultaneously good with numbers, computers, languages, symbology, mythology, hunters’ lore, legal know-how, investigation, interrogation, ammunition, deductive reasoning, all-round trivia? I can’t even. 7. He kicks ass literally. He is the second best hunter on the planet. Dean Winchester says so. Gordon Walker felt so too. 8. He makes me laugh. Sam’s witticisms are not a dime a dozen. He doesn’t try too hard to be funny you know. But the things that come out of his mouth sometimes! In 5.21, when the rest of the group is busy arguing over the ramifications of Bobby pawning his soul off to Crowley, Sam remembers to ask the right question: ‘Did you kiss him?’ In 10.05, as Dean finishes relaying his aggravations about Destiel shipping in the school play, Sam once again shows us that he has his priorities right. Shouldn’t it be Deastiel and would CasDean be an acceptable alternative? Adorable! And I still can’t get over the Sampala. 9. He nails the lovemaking scenes real hard every single time. Pun not intended. 10. He needs all the love he can get from us. This big, strong hulk of a man can radiate such innocence and vulnerability sometimes that I just want to wrap him, or as much of him as I can, in a hug and never let go. Since the beginning of Season 8, he has hardly had the time to recover from one ordeal before another was dumped all over him. People keep on kicking him while he’s still down. Hope all our love and best wishes can help him have a better run this coming season.
So there you have it folks. 10 reasons why I love Sam Winchester. There are many more that didn’t make it into this list, but I’m glad I was able to highlight some of the more pressing ones. They say affection defies logic or reason. I sure had fun making this list though. I hope you enjoy reading it too. -
In four weeks, we’ll be starting the first week of the 20 (TWENTY!) week hellatus between seasons 10 and 11 of our beloved Supernatural! What are we gonna do? Well, besides read lots of fanfic and watch out for all the spoilers for the new season?
Or have you maybe been wanting to dive into the SPN world, but just haven’t had the time or motivation? Well, now’s the time to take the plunge.
How about we watch all 218 episodes at our disposal all together! Well, maybe we can skip Bloodlines…
We’ll be watching about 10 or 11 per week, tagging our thoughts and feelings with “Spn hellatus rewatch.” I’ll be reblogging episode related stuff for that week and keeping up the schedule here!
We’re starting in four week, the week of May 25th, with the following episodes for the week:
Dead in the Water
Okay…maybe I could have picked a slightly better gif but you get the idea.