21 Facts About 21
21 was released 4 years ago today!
- Someone Like is the first piano-and vocal-only ballad to hit no.1 on the Billboard hot 100.
- 21 spent over 39 weeks in the top 5, betting Michael Jackson’s’ Bad record of 38 weeks.
- It spent 23 weeks at No.1 in the UK.
- 32 weeks at no.1 in Australia
- 28 Weeks at no.1 in New Zealand and Canada
- 81 Weeks in the top 10 in the USA
- 21 crossed over to multiple genres - pop, adult contemporary, RnB,hip-hop, dance and even Latin.
- Adele is one of 4 female artists to have a no.1 for over 13 weeks (others are Judy Garland, Carole King, and Whitney Houston).
- With over 30 million album sales 21 is one of the best-selling albums of all time.
- 2011 saw sales of 18.1 million.
- In comparison the top selling album for 2013 sold 4 mil and top selling album for 2014 sold 3.7)
- The only artist ever to have the same top selling album 2 years in a row.
- She basically saved both the US and UK music industry sales for 2011, 2012.
- Grammy wins: Album of Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Best short form video (Rolling in the deep), Best Pop Solo Performance (2012 - Someone Like You and 2013- Set Fire to the Rain).
- Juno: Best International Album
- Brit Awards: Best Female Solo Act and Best British Album
- American Music Awards: Favourite Adult Contemporary Artist, Favourite Pop/Rock Female, Favourite Pop/Rock Album
- Only person to have the bestselling digital album 2 years in a row for the SAME ALBUM.
- With 10 Grammy wins she is on the list of for the most Grammy wins ever by a female artist (#girlpower). The remarkable thing about this is that most only get on to this list after multiple album and years of being in the industry, she did it with only 2 albums and was still in her early 20’s.
- Highest selling certified album ever in Europe
- 21 is the only album in the past decade to go diamond
And in the end she did get it all…