2020 Olympics Team Members?
I did a little looking back at the junior podiums at US Nationals throughout the years and I noticed a very intresting trend I thought I would share with everyone. Turns out, of the past four olympic teams; one gymnast who made the junior podium during an Olympic year would make the team the following Olympics. Here’s a (slightly) more in depth look:
2000 US Nationals Juniors Podium
1. Kristal Uzelac- short lived senior career, ended up retiring from due to injury in 2002. Went on to compete in collegiate gymnastics for Penn State.
2. Terin Humphrey- 2004 Olympic Team Member (2x Olympic silver medalist)
3. Tabitha Yim- Made a run at the 2004 Olympics but fell just short of making the team after injuring her Achilles tendon just prior to the last selection camp.
2004 US Nationals Juniors Podium
1. Nastia Liukin- 2008 Olympic Team Member (5x Olympic medalist, 2008 AA Olympic Champion)
2. Shayla Worley- Made a run at the 2008 Olympics but was forced to withdraw from the final selection camp due to injury. Went on to compete for the University of Georgia in collegiate gymnastics.
3. Jana Bieger- Named alternate to the 2008 Olympic team.
2008 US Nationals Juniors Podium
1. Jordyn Wieber- 2012 Olympic Team Member (2012 Olympic gold medalist)
2. Samantha Shapiro- Senior career largely limited due to injury, retired from elite in 2011 and went on to compete for Stanford University.
3. Cassie Whitcomb- After a somewhat short senior career, Whitcomb went on to compete for UCLA in 2012, and then retiring the following year due to injury.
2012 US Nationals Juniors Podium
1. Lexie Priessman- After a fantastic junior career, Lexie Priessman was forced to retire from elite gymnastics due to recurring injuries. She now competes for the LSU gymnastics team.
2. Madison Desch- After three years of competing for the US as a senior (which included being named alternate to the 2014 Worlds team) Desch retired from elite gymnastics in early 2016 and has now started her freshman year at the University of Alabama.
3. Simone Biles- 2016 Olympic Team Member (4x Olympic gold medalist)
2016 US Nationals Juniors Podium
1. Maile O’Keefe
2. Riley McCusker
3. Gabby Perea
If history repeats itself, which one of the 2016 juniors will be part of the 2020 Olympic team?