[EPISODE] 71. For Friendship! Ami and Berthier Clash.
Series: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R
Kana: 友情のため! 亜美とベルチェ激突
Romaji: Yuujou no Tame! Ami to Beruche Gekitotsu
Original Air Date: October 16, 1993
Director: Harume Kosaka
Writer: Shigeru Yanagawa
Animation Director: Masahiro Ando
Plot: Berthier learns Sailor Mercury’s secret identity while targeting a Crystal Point.
- The plot was loosely adapted from Act 16 of the manga.
- The character designs slightly changed after the commercial break.
- This was the second Ami-centric episode that featured the debut of a new opening animation sequence. The first was episode 27. Masahiro Ando served as the animation director for both of these episodes.
- Sparkling Wide Pressure had a different background in this episode.
- A move during Ami and Berthier’s chess game was inspired by a play used in the World Chess Championship 1972 match.
- There was a new animation sequence for the opening credits.
- Dark Water was finally named on screen, but this episode contained its last appearance.
- Dark Water Full Power was only seen here.
- Although there was others, Chess Tower was the last Crystal Point shown in the series.
- DiC’s English dub (titled “Checkmate”):
The body lines on Berthier/Birdy were erased during her purification scene.
- The Tsukino Residence
- Chess Tower