- Republican House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) reportedly said in private conversation in June that he thought then-candidate Trump was being paid by the Russians, per to the Washington Post.
- The exchange took place on June 15, 2016, with House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and several other Republicans present.
- “There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy reportedly said, just after emerging from chat with Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman on the subject of Russian attempts to finance populist candidates in other countries.
- After McCarthy’s comments, Ryan reportedly cut the conversation off abruptly and swore all of the Republicans present to secrecy. “No leaks,” Ryan said. “This is how we know we’re a real family here.”
- When the Post initially reached out to Ryan and McCarthy for comment, spokespersons for both denied the conversation ever happened.
- After being told that a recording of the exchange existed, both spokespersons changed their responses to say that the exchange was simply an attempt at “humor.” Read more (5/17/17)
What kind of accent does Scott have? ^^