7 Reasons Why I think they are going canon, yes canon, in Season 7 -
gif by xxxmahteddykiss
(contains s7 spoilers)
1. Mirroring - Let’s review. Both go running off in opposite directions, both have search parties follow them, both are running for opposite reasons, both get injured, both had emotional appeals to return home, and their fates are left unknown not only at the end of ep 15, but then again at the end of ep 16. Why are they so obviously mirroring these 2 characters (who are closely connected) except if their destiny is to eventually come together.
2. Plot Device - (er, Tobin) Traditionally in a slow burn the always introduce a plot device love interest to muddy up the situation BEFORE the ship goes Canon which offers a way of keeping the couple apart longer AND makes the audience despair for a bigger emotional payoff. Examples: Julie to Ross & Rachel(Friends); Karen to Jim & Pam (The Office); Jessie to Rick & Michonne (TWD - you should know this one)
3. The Trailer - Oh yes, do not forget that they played up Caryl in the Official Walking Dead trailer. I have heard so many theories for what it means (trying to discredit it) but every theory points to Daryl loves Carol MOST. His dying thoughts? His happiest memories? Future plot points? It was when he was protecting her and giving her hope. He wants that and maybe wants the family like Rick has - did you notice the baby part? Carol is his person.
4. The Misdirection - They have downplayed the last 2 reunions and I know why, Because the next one will be HUGE. If they keep showing reunions it lessens the impact of what they are about to do, so they just didn’t really show it. Also, in the trailer for East they made it look like Daryl would go after Carol. Troll much AMC? They are fully aware of what we want and how to push our buttons, and I believe they are about to deliver.
5. Daryl Dixon - He is thinking relationships. Abraham asked him if he thought of settling down, and Denise told him he wasn’t trying, and that she SHOULD HAVE told Tara she loved her, but she didn’t because she was scared. Who does that sound like? Glenn told him that he should come HOME. And now all 3 of them are dead, and 3 couples shattered. He is thinking of Carol, and he will want to see her, and stop screwing around. In this world you are not guaranteed a tomorrow. This will be on his mind.
6. Only Card They Have- This is really the only big card they have to play this season. Richonne has happened, Negan has happened. They’ve had major character deaths, and they’ve had minor character deaths. Sure, there will be some cool story lines and things happening, but as far as emotional scenes this one is the biggest the could play. There is NO OTHER PERSON that they can pair Daryl with that would even make a dent of an emotional impact, let along the massive impact Caryl would be - 2 of the shows most popular characters.
7. Emotional Payoff - Okay why ep. 10? because we know they reunite then. All this stuff that’s happened with them, and they’ve been separated all this time. The buildup is so big that thee should be a huge emotional payoff. They used midirection, they used a plot device love interest, they trolled their deaths, they have been injured, abused, and hurt. They are separated forever?? (big plot device for a love arc) and this is the first time they are coming together. This reunion will have to be bigger than Terminus (which is nearly impossible). Not to mention 6 seasons of slow burn. The emotional payoff of this moment will be huge. It has to be a big moment with this much buildup.
I think there will be a love confession, and probably a kiss, and yes I think Caryl will go canon, officially. I think after that they will probably be separated though plot devices to keep them interesting. I don’t even expect them to fully consummate it at this point, but yes, I think it’s happening…and we still have to wait a long damn time to see it!