Elected leaders in St. Louis say they want to move a 103-year-old Confederate monument that sits in one of the city’s public parks.
The catch? The city won’t use taxpayers’ dollars to do it.
If residents want to rid Forest Park of the symbol of racism and white supremacy, they can donate to a GoFundMe campaign started by St. Louis Treasurer Tishaura Jones.
Over the last few years, two sitting mayors claimed the city simply can’t afford to move the 32-foot-tall granite and bronze statue depicting Missourian families who sent their young men to fight for pro-slavery Confederate states during the Civil War. Read more. (5/27/17, 11:25 AM)
Workers removed a portion of a 38-foot-tall granite monument honoring Confederate soldiers and sailors in St. Louis’ Forest Park on Thursday, according to the Associated Press, but it may take weeks for the rest of the statue to come down.
Koran Addo, a spokesman for Mayor Lyda Krewson, told the AP that while work crews had hauled away the tip of the monument, it was unclear when the rest would be removed.
The 103-year-old monument shows a Confederate soldier leaving his family to go fight in the Civil War, flanked by an angel.
An inscription in the stone reads, “in memory of the soldiers and sailors of the Confederate States By the United Daughters of the Confederacy of Saint Louis.” Read more (6/9/17)
Aujourd'hui c'est la cérémonie pour une de nos martyrs tombées ces dernières semaines face à Daech. Vous trouverez un résumé de l engagement révolutionnaire de notre camarade.
“The Girl With The Red Scarf” is immortal!
Ayşe Deniz Karacagil was only a student when she became a hero of the rebellion that began in Gezi Park against the ruling religious-fascist regime in Turkey. When was sentenced to a ridiculous 103 years prison as reactionary judges argued the red scarf she wore to protests marked her out as a “socialist terrorist” her case was known across the country. She became hailed as “The Girl With The Red Scarf”. When she was released briefly in February 2014 before retrial she escaped to the mountains, following the path she had learned from revolutionaries she had met in prison.
Soon after she wrote a letter announcing she had joined the armed units of the MLKP to break the siege of Kobane. After the victory over ISIS there she stated how beautiful it was to live in a time of revolution. In 2017 she joined other young communists from across the world in the International Freedom Battalion to liberate Raqqa. She fell a martyr during a clash with ISIS in the morning of May 29th.
By dying in the service of socialism she has become immortal!
If you can’t come up with an imagine/drabble/blurb idea yourself, feel free to chose one of these to request. Just message us with the name, character and whatever fandom or movie or show they are from and we will do our best to get it done! Before you ask to make sure it hasn’t already been posted just search on our blog the number of the prompt to see who it has been written for before.
1. “I don’t want to have a baby.”
2. “Did you enjoy yourself last night?”
3. “Are you kidding me? We’re not ‘fine’!
4. “You’ve only heard his side of the story. You never asked for mine.”
5. “Well, this is where I live.”
6. “Oh my God! You’re in love with him/her!”
7. “You make me feel like I’m not good enough.”
8. “For some reason I’m attracted to you.”
9. “I am not losing you again.”
10. “Why don’t they just kiss already?”
11. “I think I picked up your coffee by mistake.”
12. “All I wanted was your honesty.”
13. “Why do you keep pushing me away?”
14. “I can’t explain right now, but I need you to trust me.”
15. “I’ve never felt this way before….and it scares the shit out of me.”
16. “Don’t fucking touch me!”
17. “Are you really taking his side against me?”
18. “Wait a second are you jealous?”
19. “I wish I could hate you.”
20. “I’m sorry if this upsets you, but I’m going to marry her/him.”
21. “You know, it hurt when I realized that you’re not in love with me. But nothing can compare to the pain I felt when I saw you fall in love with her.”
22. “Come over here and make me.”
23. “This is by far the stupidest plan you’ve ever had. Of course I’m in.”
24. “You’re the only one I trust to do this.”
25. “I thought you were dead.”
26. “This isn’t just about you. It’s about what’s best for all of us.”
27. “I love you, you asshole.”
28. “You did this for me?”
29. “You can’t protect me.”
30. “You know I wouldn’t do this if I had any other choice.”
31. “Promise me you’ll look after your mom.”
32. “I’m so stupid to make the mistake of falling in love with my best friend.”
33. “Stop talking about the past, I could be dead in a matter of hours… make me up a future.”
34. “The way you flirt is shameful.”
35. “I waited and waited, but you never came back.”
36. “You never told me you had a fucking twin.”
37. “I want to go back to before….”
38. “I just wanted an easy day with my girlfriend/boyfriend. What’s so wrong with that?”
39. “Go then, leave! See if I care!”
40. “Why are you up so early?”
41. “Please, take me instead!”
42. “You braided his hair?”
43. “She’s been missing since Friday and you’re not worried?”
44. “Have you lost your damn mind?!”
45. “Please don’t argue. You have to leave right now, you aren’t safe here.”
46. “I’m your daughter.”
47. “I’m not surprised that you murdered him.”
48. “Is there a special reason, as to why you’re wearing my shirt?”
49. “Am I supposed to be scared of you?”
50. “Don’t use me as an example. I wasn’t a good kid.”
51. “Is that what you’re doing? Trying to make me to hate you?”
52. “I’ve been in love with you my entire life.”
53. “I’m not happy here.”
54. “If he’s going to treat you like shit I’m going to kick his ass.”
55. “I just want to cuddle and watch Friends.”
56. “You’re hiding something from me.”
57. “If I die, I’m going to haunt your ass.”
58. “I want my best friend back.”
59. “You better have a good reason for waking me up at the ass-crack of dawn.”
60. “I don’t know what I did to deserve you.”
61. “A wedding?”
62. “I just want to be alone right now.”
63. “Don’t you dare to ever do that again!”
64. “Where would someone hide in a town like this?”
65. “If I ever see you anywhere near her, you’ll have to deal with me!”
66. “I thought you were a dream come true.”
67. “Everyone keeps telling me you’re the bad guy.”
68. “I came here to explain what happened, and I’m not leaving until you listen.”
69. “I made a mistake.”
70. “H-How long have you been standing there?”
71. “You can’t break my heart like this!”
72. “I wasn’t going to wait around for you forever.”
73. “The skirt is supposed to be this short.”
74. “I’ve moved on.”
75. “This is why you don’t ever have any shirts to wear.”
76. “Run, and don’t ever look back.”
77. “The three seconds rule doesn’t apply to sticky foods.”
78. “I think I’m in love with you, and I’m terrified.”
79. “Please, don’t give up on me.”
80. “When are you going to realize that I don’t care?”
81. “I may be an idiot but I’m your idiot.”
82. “When you love someone, you just don’t stop. Ever. Even when people roll their eyes or call you crazy… even then. Specially then!”
83. “Fuck…I feel I’ve been hit by a car.”
84. “Those things you said yesterday… Did you mean them?”
85. “I know that you have reached a decision, but given that it is a stupid ass decision I have elected to ignore it”
86. “I’m tired of being your secret.”
87. “They always make shower sex sound so appealing, but honestly it seems quite dangerous.”
88. “Do you ever think if people heard our conversations they’d lock us up?”
89. “Let me tell you exactly where in hell you can go.”
90.“Who gave you that black eye?!”
91. “After everything you did, you’re asking ME to apologize for snapping at you ONCE?”
92. “I miss her so damn much, and it’s killing me that she’s gone!”
93. “What the hell are you doing here?! I told you I never wanted to see you again!”
94. “It must be hard with your sense of direction, never being able to find your way to a decent pickup line.”
95. “Are you drunk?”
96. "I’m sorry, what were you saying? I keep getting lost in your eyes.”
97. “You got her pregnant?! What were you thinking?”
98. “It’s okay baby, I’m here for you.”
99. “You say the nastiest things when you’re angry, so yes, I’m walking away from you now.
100. “I’m starting an idiot jar. Any time you do or say anything idiotic, you have to put at least a dollar in it—more depending on how stupid the thing that you said or did was.”
101. “My parents asked about you.”
102.“Oh, gosh, you’ve insulted me! What ever shall I do? I’ll be mentally and emotionally scared for years!”
103. “You haven’t even touched your food. What’s going on?”
104. “Do you need me to get anything from the store?”
105. “They say I’m in here because I’m crazy, I think I’m crazy because I’m in here.”
106. “There’s no getting out of this. You ruined me”
107. “If you don’t want to talk about what happened, then say so. Don’t just lie and say it’s fine.”
108. “I was going to kiss him, but then my friend texted me about going to Taco Bell, and, well, there’s this cashier that works there who is way cuter, so I bailed on the rest of the date.”
“You’ve been through a lot, Y/N.” Detective Do breathed out and you had to refrain from chuckling.
“I’ve only talked about one year of my 103-year-old life, my first lover out of eight, Detective. Close your gaping mouth, remember to blink and let me continue;
The name of my second lover was Zhang Yixing. Fleeing Siheung after the car accident, I sneaked onto a train without knowing it’s destination. I ended up in Beijing, and from there I was lucky enough to be employed as a maid in a large mansion half an hour from the capital.
After a few years working for my master, Mr. Zhang, he succumbed to a lung disease, leaving the house for his nephew and grandnephew. His grandnephew, Zhang Yixing, fell in love with me at first sight and I ultimately fell in love with his pursuing. Our love was sweet yet rough around the edges, but threatening it, was his father’s plan of marrying him off to someone else.”
The Zhang Mansion in the outskirts of Beijing, China, Late 1947
The sun was blinding when you leisurely stepped out of the mansion. The warm air was almost uncomfortable as you tugged on the thick layer of your skirt and apron. The collar of your dress was low on your collarbones due to your constant fiddling with it, and the arms of the dress were pulled up to level with your breasts due to the heat. Your eyes scanned the vast and well kept front yard, quickly finding the very man you were looking for - Yixing, waiting on you just as planned.
However, he was not alone. By his side, was a young Chinese woman with long, straight onyx hair and a wonderful, long, cream colored dress. They were both standing opposite to your master, Yixing’s father, and after a few seconds, realization dawned upon you and a stinging feeling of worry and jealousy summoned inside your chest. The sweat on your back was suddenly caused by other reasons than the striking heat, and your chest tightened with nervousness.
Was that the woman his father wanted him to marry? He didn’t seem too uncomfortable with her clinginess. Did he enjoy it? Had he noticed you?
103 year old Ruline Steininger casts a vote for Hillary Clinton in Iowa, as early voting began in the state.
She was born in 1913 when women were banned from voting, and born even before the First World War began.
She has voted in every election since 1936, when she first cast her vote for Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and earlier this year has sent a letter to Hillary saying:
“In my first century of life, I’ve seen many incredible things” “A pandemic, two worldwide depressions, a cure for polio, the
first Catholic president, a man on the moon, the end of smallpox, an
attack on American soil, and a black president. In my second century, I
look forward to seeing a woman president.”
Kind of really sobering when you really think about the fact that there are people in this country who are alive at this moment and lived at a time when universal suffrage hadn’t existed yet.
Meet Ayse; One of thousands of dignified personalities amongst the Kurdish Movement. Ayse Deniz Karacagil (Heval Destan) escaped and joined the ranks of the Kurdistan Worker’s Party (PKK) as an ethnic Turkish Woman (from Isparta) in 2013.
She took the decision after being sentenced to a staggering 103 years in prison for taking part in the Anti-State Gezi protests against Turkish President Erdogan.The red scarf she wore during the protests was amongst the evidence used against her by the Turkish Justice System, leading to her becoming well reknown as ‘the girl with the red scarf’ across Turkey and Kurdistan.
It is believed she is currently amongst the Free Women’s Units (YJA-Star- PKK) in the Qandil Mountains.
Birthday - Yogesh AB EF .. greetings to you love happiness and all the best there is .. from your Ef ..
Time takes time .. it takes time to take the time we want .. and when the time is done and it has come then it is time to time the time ..
My timing says it is late for the early morning call tomorrow and I must rest .. so I leave .. but not without admitting that the hours of work put in in front of a lens at times is less arduous than the kind of time one spends in a day .. at times ..!!
But this little interlude was so special .. meeting Christine Carvalho .. who .. hold your breath is 103 years old .. 103 .. !! And sees all my films, a number of times .. had the most ardent desire to meet me .. blessed me on my forehead .. watches Tv every day .. her favourite programme is WWE .. unbelievable .. does her own chores .. bathes on her own, washes her own clothes and just so incredible ..
I shall be more exhaustive in the morrow .. my love and my care and my all
103 years ago, The Empress of Ireland was sailing from Quebec City to Liverpool, when a thick fog rolled in. Another ship, the Storstad, was traveling a similar path and did not see the Empress in time. The ships struck each other, and the Empress started taking on water fast. Within 10 minutes, the whole ship lurched to her starboard side, allowing only 5 lifeboats to be launched, and within 15 minutes, the whole ship would be gone. Out of 1,477 passengers and crew, only 465 survived making it the largest Canadian marine peacetime disaster in history.
The Manx loth-cat is a very popular breed, used both for mousing and as a pet. It has a stocky build and has two variants: bob-tailed or completely tail-less. Its friendly and tolerant nature ensures that it is happy even in small enclosed spaces such as apartments or among other animals.
It can become quite greedy if encouraged with treats, so owners are advised to keep track of its weight and make certain it receives enough enrichment and activity.