hi i'm sorry if i'm bothering you but do you have any tips on how to get through a finals phase? i'm so close to burning out completely but there's still two weeks left in which i need to function perfectly... you always seem so put together and organized, how do you do it? i can barely get out of bed most of the time...
Hey! I know how you feel, I was in the same situation 2 months ago! I guess I will tell you about my experience and what helps for me. I hope this is useful!
- get up early, take a shower so you’ll feel fresh and energized (maybe go for a morning run to gain some energy and fresh air!)
- find the time of the day you’re most productive and your concentration is at the highest level (it was early in the morning for me (from 7-10am)) then study at this time (for most of the people concentration is at the highest level from 8-11am and from 3-6pm, the lowest point is from 12am-1pm)
- I used the pomodoro-technique then: I studied for 25 minutes and had a break of 5 minutes in which I made a cup of tea, walked around in my room, went to the toilet,… and after the break, I studied for 25 minutes again and so on (when you do 6 of these sessions, you’ll have studied for 3 hours, wow!!)
- switch off your phone and put it away (also don’t touch it during the short breaks)
- don’t study in your bed, do it at a desk without distractions, choose a place that is for studying only
- drink a lot during studying (i talk when I study so I need it for my throat haha) and drink something you really love! like your favourite tea / juice, so you’ll feel better
- after the first study session, have a 2 or 3 hour break in which you’ll have lunch, watch youtube videos, go outside etc which is kind of a reward for studying
- after that break, study for 3 hours again (using the pomodoro method)
- and then you’re done! you’ve studied for 6 hours which is great!!
- my fave study method is to read my notes and then talk about the content without looking at my notes (it depends on the subject but it kinda works for me), I always try to talk about it as if I was explaining it to another person
- if you still have school / uni at that time, try to do the stuff I was talking about at the weekend and study before/after uni/school and in free periods, but also get enough rest & sleep
- also imagine what it will feel like to get a good grade in your exams and think about how dissapointed you’ll feel when you’ve spent most of the time in bed but could have studied instead
- if you study for 5-6 hours a day (which is a lot!! and definitely enough in my opinion), you’ll still have enough time to go outside, watch movies, meet up with friends etc.
- and of course: get enough sleep!! this is really important! 7-8 hours of sleep are perfect
I hope this was useful!! Sending you lots of energy and motivation!! I believe in you! and good luck for your finals ♥