I know the title of the blog is No More Ramen, but sometimes ya gotta work with what ya got. Doesn’t mean it has to completely lack nutrition, though! With ramen, that means adding various other things.
(Note: there are a lot more things you can add to ramen, but these are the ones that are microwave friendly. The choose-your-own menu includes no-chop and vegetarian/vegan options.)
- Shrimp: Defrost/de-shell/de-vein, if necessary. Then put them in a bowl of water (your noodle water, but without noodles), microwave on High for 1 minute. Add your ramen noodles and microwave on High for 2 to 2.5 more minutes.
- Eggs: Crack 1 or 2 eggs and beat them with a fork. After your ramen is done cooking in the microwave, stir it with a fork and slowly pour the beaten eggs into the swirling water. The hot water will cook them almost instantly.
- Imitation crab: Comes in pre-cooked blocks. Flake it with a fork/chop it with a knife/pull it apart with your fingers and add it to the noodles before microwaving.
- Canned tuna: Drain and add to the noodles before microwaving.
- Spinach (whole or chopped)
- Bean sprouts
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Cabbage, green or red (thinly sliced)
- Green onions
- Bok choy
For all of the above, add to the hot broth directly after microwaving.
- Snap peas
- Shredded/julienned carrots
- Thinly sliced white/red onion
For the above, add them to the water and noodles before microwaving. Depending how large you chop, some may take an extra minute of microwaving in the water before you add the noodles.
- The flavour packet, obviously
- Soy sauce
- Sriracha sauce/hot sauce
- Fish sauce
- Lime juice
- Sesame oil
- Sugar (only a little, and in addition to other flavourings)
- Black pepper
- Hot pepper flakes
- Crushed peanuts
- Sesame seeds