“me and you? we’re simply not cut out for this lovers thing” with stuckony please, because I'm an asshole and my life force comes out of stuckony suffering and angst.
They had tried. When Bucky had come back
and it was clear that he and Steve were still in love, they had tried the
polyamory thing, mostly because Tony didn’t want to let go of Steve.
But it was clear that it wasn’t working
out. Steve and Bucky were closer than Steve and Tony ever had been and while
Tony was rapidly falling in love with Bucky it was clear that Bucky didn’t see
him as anything else but as competition.
And it was time to put an end to all of
Tony cornered Bucky when Steve was out for
his run with Sam and it already spoke volumes that Bucky angled himself away
from Tony before he even opened his mouth.
“Okay, let’s be honest here,” Tony started
and forced his voice to be steady. “You and me? We’re simply not cut out for
this lover’s thing.”
Bucky’s eyes went wide, but he continued to
put more space between them.
“What do you want me to do?” Bucky
carefully asked and Tony’s heart broke when he saw how scared Bucky looked. Scared,
that Tony would take Steve away from him and this only cemented Tony’s
decision. The three of them were no good together at all.
“Nothing. I just wanted to let you know
that I…, well, I guess I am breaking up with you.”
“And Steve?” Bucky asked, voice small and
Tony could hear it trembling.
“I’m gonna break up with him, too, of
course,” Tony said with a frown. “You belong together and I should have ducked
out when you first came back, but I…” he trailed off, unable to say it.
But he didn’t have to because Bucky
understood him perfectly as it seemed.
“But you loved him so much, that you had to
try. You loved him too much to just let him go.” Tony nodded but didn’t say
“Do you not love him anymore?” Bucky asked
“I do. Of course I do, but he loves you
more, and I’m just not worth it. And we’re not working out too well, are we?
You can hardly look at me as it is. I never meant to put such a strain on your
“I’ve been trying,” Bucky mumbled and Tony
chuckled, because otherwise he would start to cry.
“I know, and I’m not saying you haven’t.
But this is still not working out, for neither of us. So I’m just gonna give
you space and you can, you know, be together like you have before without me
“Tony?” Steve suddenly asked from the
doorway, still panting and sweaty from his run. “What is this?”
Tony had thought he would have more time to
prepare to break up with Steve too, but apparently the universe hated him
“I’m breaking up with you,” he said evenly,
trying to blink back the tears.
“Why?” Steve asked and he sounded desperate.
“It’s not working, Steve. We said we would
try, and we did, but Bucky and I, we are not working. And it’s straining your
relationship too, and I love you too much to see you unhappy.”
“Tony, I love you. Don’t do this. You and
Bucky are fine,” Steve pleaded and Tony laughed at that.
“We are not fine, and you know it. He can’t
even touch me. And don’t even pretend that you love me like you love him. I
know that you love him, maybe not more than you love me, but he is more
important to you. I won’t stand between you anymore. It’s been a selfish
decision from the start.”
Bucky had kept quiet this whole time but
now he started to reach out for Steve.
“Steve,” he pleaded and Steve instinctively
reached out for Bucky.
It was like a stab to Tony’s heart, to see
those two together, but it only showed him that he was right.
“Tony, he loves you,” Steve said when Bucky
didn’t say anything else and Tony had never thought that Steve could be cruel,
but apparently he had been wrong.
“Don’t,” he managed to say but Steve shook
“He does, Tony, he does. He just doesn’t
always know how to express it.”
“It doesn’t matter,” Tony said around a
sob. “It’s never gonna be enough. Not compared to what you have. And I just…
Steve, this isn’t working. Just let it go.”
“No!” Steve said decidedly and Bucky
reached out for Tony this time, but Tony took a step back.
“I’m sorry. I’ll go now,” Tony managed
before his voice cracked and he turned around.
He swallowed around a sob as he left, but
when no one called out for him again, he knew that he had made the right
I just rediscovered my developmental artwork for one of my uni projects, in which I collaborated with @ts-porter to illustrate their short story about steampunk lesbians. Most of the early art was getting a feel of the setting.
* Jay was very scared of letting Cole go outside for long periods of time during the time he was a ghost. (He was afraid he would forget Cole and/or Cole would somehow disappear if he couldn’t at least hear Cole nearby)
* Cole gave up on Jay, romantical wise, after s5. (He basically lost all hope to even cross that line with Jay, so he watched from afar to at least make sure he was happy with Nya.)
* Jay never really caught on to if Cole liked him or not. (He himself had a slight crush in the beginning after training and getting to know Cole. However, he dismissed it as prosperous and decided to pursue Nya instead.)
* As Jay continued to pursue Nya in a romantic relationship, he sometimes would force his interest onto Nya instead of the lingering crush he had on Cole. (Jay thought the more time he spent away from Cole and the more with Nya, his feelings would eventually change)
* And this works for Jay. He finds his feelings much more intrigued by Nya and thinks his crush on Cole had finally disappeared. (But during DoTD, his secret crush on Cole comes crawling back out when he and everyone else thought Cole was gone)
* Once Jay realizes this, Jay wanted to confront Cole about it. However, he decides against it and stays with Nya in hopes he was just delusional.
* Cole is left wondering if he ever had a chance with Jay; to the point he consoles Zane and Pixal for advice.
* As Jay’s best friend though, Cole still keeps close; he knows all of Jay’s secrets, what Jay likes to eat/wear/hobbies etc, and secretly is happy about the fact they probably had one of the stronger relationships on the team.
* Cole had tried to get into a romantic relationship off screen in hopes of moving on from Jay. However, it doesn’t end up well and Cole broke it off with them. (Cole actually found himself more sadden than before dating them. Not only could he not move on, but he had hurt someone else as well)
* Cole would sometimes throw small flirting lines to Jay. None were ever taken seriously though and Jay played it off as playful banter.
* In reality though, Jay was more confused by Cole’s lines of flirting rather than not taking them seriously. (Some of these things was what brought up the possibility of Cole liking him to Jay)
* Cole is very good at hiding his actual feelings. Sometimes, he’ll even restrict himself from being too close to Jay when training or even fighting in battle. (He almost told Jay he liked him post s4 and pre s5 but he told himself that Jay would most likely not accept his feelings; so he decided to wait a little longer)
* This however, was a mistake on Cole’s part since Jay and Nya officially got together during post s6.
* Cole was heartbroken but he continued on like nothing was wrong. He continued as the best friend figure for Jay and forced himself to move on.
* Long story short, Jay and Cole never got together because of their doubts about each others’ feelings; as well as trying to tell themselves they’ll move on from whatever feelings they had for the other.