Do you have any prompts for a masquerade ball or party? Please and thank you! I love your prompts!
1) “Remember to keep your mask on,” my companion warned. “Don’t let it slip. If the masks find out you have a face, they won’t hesitate to tear yours off you.”
I managed a nod. Tightened the strap of ribbon keeping it in place with clammy hands - so much for a party! “Let’s do this.”
2) They always wore the same mask at every party we met at - one side happy, the other not. So I could find them among the crowd. Seduction, intrigue, the most dizzying affair I’d ever had, with only one rule for our game of love. I was never allowed to ask their name or see their face. If I did, I’d never see them again.
3) Of course, we knew exactly who we were talking to. But it was such a perfect opportunity that we both simultaneously decided not to recognize each other. Freedom paper thin and colourful. You gasped as your back hit the wall.
4) The party ends, you are yourself again. Sliding back uncomfortably tight into your own skin like clothes that no longer fit.
“What,” murmured the stranger on the dancefloor in your ear. “If I could take you to a place where the party never ends?”
“I’d say it sounds like they’re going to find my body in a ditch.”
The stranger laughed, and pressed a kiss to the mask on my cheek. At home, when I peeled it off, it was marked not by lips but by a symbol. Eternity.
5) They were the only person in the room unmasked. A beautiful face, a careless confidence, and a gaze that hadn’t left me all night despite the fact my clothes and mask were identical to everyone elses. “They’re a shifter,” my friend whispered in my ear. “That’s why they don’t need to hide. That’s not their face.”
And yet, I knew that face.